I'm new and have no chickens

Bishopalready

Chirping
Jan 30, 2022
New Jersey
I have signed up to rent 2 hens including coup and equipment. I am a senior citizen and don't want to get in over my head. I have looked at lots of videos and read and looked at coops like I would look for a house. So before I totally commit I thought this may be a good way to see if I'll be a good momma hen. (That's the first 3 letters of my maiden name, LOL). My daughter that I live with wants us to do this together. I would love it. So we're researching and can't find anywhere to even get chickens. We don't want to get into hatching and raising chicks. So thus before we commit we want to get some experience. When we finish renting them, if we want to get into it, my daughter wants a few (4 maximum) Quail, which is a whole other experience. My problem is all info I've seen, we are so small a lot doesn't apply to us. We want laying hens for the eggs. Are we headed in the right direction? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This is a great place to learn, to share experiences, to get encouragement when you need it and to revel in your successes. Many folks here have (or at least started with) just a few hens. I like your strategy for finding out if chicken-keeping is for you.

Bring us any concerns or questions, and someone here will almost certainly be able to help you.

Welcome to BYC; let us know when you get your girls and how it's going!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Keeping chickens is very addictive. You may very well say now that you just want them for eggs and don't want to hatch and raise chicks. That attitude changes quickly once you get to know them. Make sure you can have chickens on your lot before you do anything else. You don't want to get attached only to find out they're illegal to keep and you are forced to rehome them. Good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom