Sorta like this?

Attachments

• 20240516_143840.jpg
    20240516_143840.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 6
Ok do you know how pure cackle hatchery stock is? Or where I could find pure stock to start with?
Cackles stock is pretty good throughout. Owner is a lifetime member of the ameraucana club and does try to breed to sop as best they can for a hatchery. I would say they have generally good stock to start from. You would just need to work on your own breeding strategies to improve on them as you would with any breeders stock as well.

Cackles stock is pretty good throughout. Owner is a lifetime member of the ameraucana club and does try to breed to sop as best they can for a hatchery. I would say they have generally good stock to start from. You would just need to work on your own breeding strategies to improve on them as you would with any breeders stock as well.
Thanks I believe I have a strategy lined up.

What are the red sexlink genes?
I think this would be correct.

If you use just RIR and Red Sexlink, I think your birds will all be E^Wh/E^Wh ( pure for Wheaten).

Regarding feather colors, Red Sexlink hens should be genetically the same as Rhode Island Reds except that Red Sexlinks usually have Dominant White, and Rhode Island Reds never do.

Regarding feather colors, Red Sexlink hens should be genetically the same as Rhode Island Reds except that Red Sexlinks usually have Dominant White, and Rhode Island Reds never do.
The genes involved would be:
E^Wh/E^Wh (Wheaten, affects how the black and red are arranged)
Co/Co (Columbian, makes the chicken have less black and more red)
Mh/Mh (Mahogany, turns gold into red)
i+/i+ for Rhode Island Reds, I/i+ for Red Sexlinks (absence or presence of Dominant White.)

All the other genes would be the default settings of the calculator, the ones marked with +

Since cubalaya hens are the same color as the wheaten marans and cubalaya roosters are the same color as the RIR do you think I could just breed them to white leghorns and get the same color I wanted?
Here are some of the cubalayas I like the looks of.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240527_221839_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240527_221839_Chrome.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240527_221154_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240527_221154_Chrome.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240527_220630_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240527_220630_Chrome.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 5
Since cubalaya hens are the same color as the wheaten marans and cubalaya roosters are the same color as the RIR do you think I could just breed them to white leghorns and get the same color I wanted?
For the color, probably yes you can use the Cubalayas.

Cubalayas are going to have some traits different than those other breeds. If you want those traits, then they would be a good choice.

Note, the Cubalaya rooster in the picture is not really the same color (genetically) as a Rhode Island Red. He definitely does have red, but he also has a black breast which Rhode Island Reds do not. The Columbian gene is probably the main one causing that difference: Rhode Island Reds have Co which lets them have the red breast and less black in general, the Wheaten Cubalaya would have co+ which allows the black breast and a bit more black in other areas.

In the pictures I have seen, Wheaten Marans roosters are about the same color as the Wheaten Cubalaya rooster in the first photo you have. With both roosters and hens matching, the Wheaten Cubalayas and Wheaten Marans should have pretty much the same color genes as each other.

For the color, probably yes you can use the Cubalayas.

Cubalayas are going to have some traits different than those other breeds. If you want those traits, then they would be a good choice.

Note, the Cubalaya rooster in the picture is not really the same color (genetically) as a Rhode Island Red. He definitely does have red, but he also has a black breast which Rhode Island Reds do not. The Columbian gene is probably the main one causing that difference: Rhode Island Reds have Co which lets them have the red breast and less black in general, the Wheaten Cubalaya would have co+ which allows the black breast and a bit more black in other areas.

In the pictures I have seen, Wheaten Marans roosters are about the same color as the Wheaten Cubalaya rooster in the first photo you have. With both roosters and hens matching, the Wheaten Cubalayas and Wheaten Marans should have pretty much the same color genes as each other.
Would RIR x cubalaya x white leghorn work?

Ok I'm trying to recreate the white pattern red wheaten on the calculator and for some reason I can't get back to it. What am I doing wrong? I typed in Rhode island red and wheaten maran getting this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240527_235132_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240527_235132_Chrome.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom