I'm new and in over my head, I think.

Jul 15, 2021
Hello, friends. I just bought a farm that came with 10 hens and 12 quail at the end of May. Been on a super-fast learning curve. Quails were delightful to listen to and watch, but about ten days ago, I found one of the quails dead in the coop. I buried her. Another quail escaped, but then two weeks later, after the one died, I counted 13 quail! I have yet to find a single quail egg. I noticed that one of the quail is mistreating the other quail. I separated the victim (with lots of missing feathers and a huge scab on the back of her neck) to give her a chance to heal. Then I noticed today that two other females now have lots of feathers missing from the backs of their necks. Perhaps I should remove the bully instead and send him to boy jail or the freezer camp?

The hens are gorgeous, but I hardly noticed any eggs. Then I asked the previous owner how old they are. The oldest one is 10! The buff orpingtons are 5-6 years old. I guess that explains it. Do I have geriatric hens in henopause? On Saturday, I noticed one of the buff orpingtons couldn't stand very well. She kept falling over. I separated her and put her on my back porch with the rescued quail (The Hen Hospital), and after a few hours, she stood up and ate and drank. The next two days, she was struggling and kept falling over and doing somersaults. Today she is not able to stand at all. Do I need to euthanize her? What is the best way? Do I have to bury the carcass, or can I throw it in the woods? I'm sorry, these questions probably seem ridiculous to you, but I am trying to figure it out on my own and so far all of the vets I've called have not been helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

What does your set up look like for your quail? What breed are they? If they are over crowded, they will bully each other. No matter what their breed, they need at least 3 to 4 square feet per bird to be comfortable. Provide hidy spots, with fake or real foliage and more than one set of food and water stations. Definitely stop by our Quail forums for more help... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/quail.48/

As for the chicken hen, it sounds like a vitamin deficiency to me, you might post this in our Emergency forums for more help... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

Good luck and keep us posted on your flock! :)

Hello, friends. I just bought a farm that came with 10 hens and 12 quail at the end of May. Been on a super-fast learning curve. Quails were delightful to listen to and watch, but about ten days ago, I found one of the quails dead in the coop. I buried her. Another quail escaped, but then two weeks later, after the one died, I counted 13 quail! I have yet to find a single quail egg. I noticed that one of the quail is mistreating the other quail. I separated the victim (with lots of missing feathers and a huge scab on the back of her neck) to give her a chance to heal. Then I noticed today that two other females now have lots of feathers missing from the backs of their necks. Perhaps I should remove the bully instead and send him to boy jail or the freezer camp?

The hens are gorgeous, but I hardly noticed any eggs. Then I asked the previous owner how old they are. The oldest one is 10! The buff orpingtons are 5-6 years old. I guess that explains it. Do I have geriatric hens in henopause? On Saturday, I noticed one of the buff orpingtons couldn't stand very well. She kept falling over. I separated her and put her on my back porch with the rescued quail (The Hen Hospital), and after a few hours, she stood up and ate and drank. The next two days, she was struggling and kept falling over and doing somersaults. Today she is not able to stand at all. Do I need to euthanize her? What is the best way? Do I have to bury the carcass, or can I throw it in the woods? I'm sorry, these questions probably seem ridiculous to you, but I am trying to figure it out on my own and so far all of the vets I've called have not been helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Henopause?!!!Love it!!!😂

Back
Top Bottom