I'm New Here and to Chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Simple-country, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Simple-country

Simple-country Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2015
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I got 13 new babies in May last year 2014

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I have 12 (rehomed a rooster).

(3) What breeds do you have? Polish, Cochin, Easter Egger

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? You are all over the internet when I do a search for help on chickens!!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Horses, reading, music, family

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    I have 3 girls that I love to death, 5 big horses, 7 mini horses, 5 inside cats, bunny that runs the house, and a yellow lab. I live in Wisconsin where it is BUTT COLD right now!

I have totally fallen in love with my chickens. They are the highlight of my day and I'm anxious to dabble even more with them. I've ordered an incubator and am interested in hatching out some other breeds. So excited to learn more see where it goes!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck in your flock expansion.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Sounds like you have a very nice farm. You definitely have some nice, docile chicken breeds. The Cochins we have had have been gentle giants and our children made lap pets of them. Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorite chickens. She loves their colored eggs. You might want to keep a close eye on how your Polish mix with the other two breeds as Polish (due to their feathered crests and poor vision) often get picked on by other breeds, sometimes with serious injuries being inflicted on them. We ended up having to put our Golden Laced Polish in a separate coop/run with our Black Silkies for this very reason. The Polish and Silkies got along fabulously and had some of the prettiest offspring I've ever seen. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

4. RulingTheRoost

RulingTheRoost Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2015
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

1. No, I'm not new to chickens. I started in 2011 with 8 baby chicks.
    2. I'm all the way up to about 52 altogether, including some bantams and show breeds.
    3. A variety. Rhode Island Reds, Easter eggers, buff orpingtons, barred rocks, red sex-links, dark cornish, silkies, d'uccles, white rock, buff rock, deleware, partridge rock, black australorp, white leghorn, brown leghorn, and several others including some mutts that were hatched by a broody hen. [​IMG]
    4. I found about byc the same way you did :)
    5. Reading, absolutely. I'm making an attempt to write a book as well. I knit, and singing is also something I enjoy doing.
    6. Chickens are absolutely fun. They have different personalities, and it's hilarious to watch some of their antics. I've got a cat who is about to have kittens, a dog, three rabbits, and the absolute desire to have a horse, although I don't have nearly enough land cleared for one.

It's nice meeting you! :)

5. Simple-country

Jan 6, 2015
    Thank you very much! It's great to have a place to go for help, support, and answers!

6. Simple-country

Jan 6, 2015
    So far the Polish are mixing right in. My rooster has some issues with the Easter Egger, but no blood drawn. He just gets chased and is always aware of where he is in the coop. At night, he snuggles up to EE like nothing happened. I will definitely continue to watch the little guys. They are so doggon funny and sweet! The Polish rooster will take flight and land on our shoulder when we go in for chicken checks. He's everyone's favorite that comes to visit! This spring we are planning on separating the coop to make it less stressful for them. He won't have to constantly watch over his shoulder. It would break my heart if any of them (3) were hurt!

7. Simple-country

Jan 6, 2015
    Ruling the Roost, what kind of book are you planning on writing? And I agree with just sitting back and watching the chickens. They can turn a crappy day pretty alright in a matter of minutes!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

9. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Welcome, welcome, welcome!

10. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by