I'm new here

boundtogoboogie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Central New York
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Cynthia. I have been working for Tractor Supply for almost 9 years now and in my 8th "chick season" finally broke down and got my peeps. We got in Ameraucana pullets and I knew it was the sign that this was my year. I have been wanting Easter eggers ever since I learned about them. My store had never gotten them before and I knew they wouldn't last. They didn't. The whole shipment was gone within 24 hours, but not before I got 6 of my very own. I was delighted to get 6 pullets with markedly different coloring and brought home Dove, Latte, Chip, Hershey, Smudge and one we haven't come up with a name for yet. Then last week we got in yet another shipment of Golden Comets, which we get a lot of, but also birds I consider very desireable because of the reports I have gotten from customers about what friendly, sweet little chickens they are and what great layers. I have always noticed how nice these chicks are to handle, calm and quiet when picked up and bold when you reach in to catch them. I put the comets in with the 3 week old Ameraucanas with some trepidation, but they are existing happily together. When I check on them in the evening I am always amused to see the littles tucked in between their older cousins. I am also rather proud that I haven't had any losses. I am looking forward to warmer weather and being able to turn my girls out into the barn and attached pen to scratch and forage and play. For night time they will have a 10 x 12 horse stall with well 9 good sized nesting boxes. Although this is my first time owning chickens, I have been collecting information for years, mostly to be able to answer my customers questions. I'd like to add that my customers have been a great resource for information over the years and have always encouraged me to take this step. I know I will have questions as my birds grow and am grateful to have been directed to BYC. I will post picks when it is warmer and my babies are past the ugly duckling stage.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Wow, working at Tractor Supply all these years, how in the world have you resisted chickens for so long!!! LOL

Congrats on the new chicks! Have you stopped by our learning center yet here on BYC? Lots of great articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

You picked out some nice breeds. Enjoy your new flock and I hope they bring you great joy! If you have any questions, that is what we are here for. Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! You have a lot more willpower than I do. The first time I got faced with a box of chicks I bought 40
lol.png
Enjoy the site!

[COLOR=333333]Welcome to BYC [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]:frow [/COLOR][COLOR=333333] Glad you joined us! You have a lot more willpower than I do. The first time I got faced with a box of chicks I bought 40 [/COLOR]:lol:  Enjoy the site!
For sure mega willpower!!!! My first time seeing chicks I was like a kid in a candy store lol

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your new chicks! X4, don't know how you managed to resist them for that many years!

Thanks for the great welcome. I have resisted because I have 4 horses, 4dogs and a fluid number of cats. My husband is not a livestock kind of guy and doesnt know I have the birds. With luck I will be getting eggs by the time he finds out. Lol.

40? OMG! And I thought I was animal obsessive. I've been giving this a lot of thought for a long time and have been absorbing information all through my career at TSC so that I could help my customers with their poultry questions. I am really very pleased with the amount of useful information I have retained, but there is so much more to learn! I am so excited about this new adventure. I am looking forward to learning much more both for myself and my customers.

Back
Top Bottom