I'm new to backyard chicken raising.

EmilyinRVA

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 11, 2014
Hello, I'm new and living in The city of Richmond, VA. We have 4 hens all just over 6 months old. I have a few questions, do I ask them here or on a different thread?

I'll start here.. I have 2 Ameraucanas, an all white & a brown/red/blue, they have the fluffy cheeks, black legs & feet, and the right looking comb. BUT when they were 5 months old they shed their long tail feathers, so now their tails are short. Is that common? Also out while Ameraucana has teal coloring in her face near her eyes.

We got these 2 plus our 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes from a farm here and not a hatchery. They don't seem like EEs to me.

Thanks for any insight you can offer:)

-Em

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! I do not keep these breeds, but there will be others stopping by here to welcome you to BYC that might have the answers to this question.

Enjoy your wonderful flock and welcome to ours!

A BIG welcome from the Buckeye state!
The first thing most people will ask is if you can post pics of your chicks.
Usually opinions will start rolling in to help you ascertain what breed(s) you may have.
Caveat...this site has the potential to be instantly addicting...
yippiechickie.gif
!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. If you will post some pics of your Ameraucanas, we can probably tell you whether or not they are true Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers. If they have greenish legs, they are definitely EEs and if they came from a hatchery, they are almost certainly EEs. There is a good article on the difference between true Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC!  Glad you decided to join our flock.  If you will post some pics of your Ameraucanas, we can probably tell you whether or not they are true Ameraucanas or Easter Eggers.  If they have greenish legs, they are definitely EEs and if they came from a hatchery, they are almost certainly EEs.  There is a good article on the difference between true Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html.  Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have.  We are here to help in any way we can.  Good luck with your flock.

Thank you everyone! I'll get some pics up tomorrow:) they do have true black legs and did not come from a hatchery. It's the tail feathers that are throwing us for a loop!

Back
Top Bottom