I'm new to chickens and to BYC

Chicken Mama Jillian

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2024
Hi, my name is Jillian. Last week my husband and I came home from TSC with 25 chicks, because we heard that you lose a lot in your first batch. But...that didn't happen. I took a fantastic online course from The Featherbrain (Mama Hen's Guide to Raising Spoiled Rotten Chicks) and we only lost two so far. Now we're down to 23 (22 pullets and 1 roo), which is about twice as many as we had planned on.

They're a mix of Buff Orpingtons, Golden Sex Links, Production Blues, and something small with stripes. I forgot to take a picture of the brooders with the signs at TSC and when we went back the next day all the stripey chicks (and their sign) were gone and no one could tell use what they were. So...mystery chickens! I'm hoping for Welsummers/Welbars, which they said they do carry.

We live on several acres of cleared land in the middle of no where, and we always planned to have chickens for eggs & table birds. I'm very excited to get started with selling eggs and eventually adding meat birds, turkeys, and maybe even ducks (but that last one's probably a long way off). I'm also getting really close to a few of the chicks, which I didn't expect since I was fearful of pet birds as a kid after being bit several times by parrots.

Some of my other hobbies include watercolor painting and reading Star Trek books. I also really like to do research, so chickens are providing a lot of opportunities to do that.
I have a young son who I homeschool, and I work as an administrator for an ESL (English as a Second Language) school. We have two pet cats named Nippy (a gorgeous dilute calico with thumbs) and Neelix (a delightful orange pest).

I found BYC with Google, I've known about it for about a week, and I decided to join when I looked for reviews on Chickenpedia and saw that all the same information was on here (and free!). This looks like a wonderful community, and I'm so glad to find it early on.

Hi, my name is Jillian. Last week my husband and I came home from TSC with 25 chicks, because we heard that you lose a lot in your first batch. But...that didn't happen. I took a fantastic online course from The Featherbrain (Mama Hen's Guide to Raising Spoiled Rotten Chicks) and we only lost two so far. Now we're down to 23 (22 pullets and 1 roo), which is about twice as many as we had planned on.

They're a mix of Buff Orpingtons, Golden Sex Links, Production Blues, and something small with stripes. I forgot to take a picture of the brooders with the signs at TSC and when we went back the next day all the stripey chicks (and their sign) were gone and no one could tell use what they were. So...mystery chickens! I'm hoping for Welsummers/Welbars, which they said they do carry.

We live on several acres of cleared land in the middle of no where, and we always planned to have chickens for eggs & table birds. I'm very excited to get started with selling eggs and eventually adding meat birds, turkeys, and maybe even ducks (but that last one's probably a long way off). I'm also getting really close to a few of the chicks, which I didn't expect since I was fearful of pet birds as a kid after being bit several times by parrots.

Some of my other hobbies include watercolor painting and reading Star Trek books. I also really like to do research, so chickens are providing a lot of opportunities to do that.
I have a young son who I homeschool, and I work as an administrator for an ESL (English as a Second Language) school. We have two pet cats named Nippy (a gorgeous dilute calico with thumbs) and Neelix (a delightful orange pest).

I found BYC with Google, I've known about it for about a week, and I decided to join when I looked for reviews on Chickenpedia and saw that all the same information was on here (and free!). This looks like a wonderful community, and I'm so glad to find it early on.
Welcome. You can post a picture of your mystery chick. We can help you identify.

Welcome. You can post a picture of your mystery chick. We can help you identify.
Thanks! I'll try to get a picture up tomorrow. That would be super helpful. I went to Hoover Hatchery's Chick ID page since I'd heard TSC got all their chicks from there. I've narrowed them down to 4-5 kinds of chicks, and I'd love any help I can get to narrow them down further.

Back
Top Bottom