I'm new to raising chickens!

chickyfer

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 12, 2013
Northern California
I'm happy to have found this website! We are excited to raise our chicks! We are building a coop this weekend. I do have one question right off the bat. I have 5 kids...the oldest being 12 and the youngest is 4 months. We preach handwashing but I know some of them will slip up and forget. Do I need to worry a lot about salmonella? Because right now its worrying me a lot.
thanks everyone!

Greetings from Kansas, chickyfer, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased to have you with us! I'm probably not the person to ask - I know there are times when I forget to wash my hands after handling chickens chores and I've never gotten sick...so whatever that's worth. Good luck to you!

welcome-byc.gif
Gee I don't know what to tell you -except only allow them near the chickens when you can supervise hand washing and /or use of hand sanitizers. You might want to impress upon them NOT to hold baby chicks or chickens close to their face & eyes. Chickens are attracted to anything shiny and will peck - at eyes. they explore things by pecking - a consequence of not having hands. Maybe you could get them to wear googles - and tell them how cool they look.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Like redsox I am sometimes (often?) slack in the handwashing, mostly because I am out working in the yard, coops or barns a lot. Children are more susceptible to infections though, and it is a good idea to try as much as possible to get them to wash or use a sanitizer.

Back
Top Bottom