I'm new, too!

Mikiki

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2019
Spring Creek, NV
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Yes, sort of. I bought my first chickens last spring, but they were kept at a friend's house until we finished our coop and run.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? Well.. I started with 9 hens. Added 2 roos. And I'm down to 4 hens. 2 roos and 9 baby chicks. As well as the FOURTEEN eggs my daughter has in her incubator.

(3) What breeds do you have? 4 arcauna/Americana (feed store purchase) hens and 1 roo. 1 roo who is a mixed breed. (He's pretty. I got him from my dad but he doesn't know what he is. Haha). Baby chicks: 3 are ones we hatched they are mixes from our hens. 2 are silkie. 2 are sapphire gems. 2 are Rhode island red. So... by chicken math
. That's like 6 birds. ;)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? Fresh eggs and happy chicks. I love getting to go out and watch our little flock and we get enough eggs for our family of 7 plus daycare kiddos and we get to share with friends and family.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Children. Haha. I like eating too much and complaining about my weight and binge watching shows when I'm pretending to have free time. Haha. For reals though, I like gardening. (Deep litter method for fresh compost? Heck yes) also, I may be turning my yard into a small farm... we will be adding goats next spring.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have 5 kids. I run a daycare from home. And I'm obsessed with permaculture and micro farms. :) my other half is a long haul truck driver, so I take care of the house while he's gone and he comes home to find new livestock and projects going.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Google! Y'all kept coming up when I would search for my chickens. And so I got the app and I'm exploring!

Hello and welcome to BYC - it’s great that you have joined us. Please make yourself at home.

This is a useful link of “How to” BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3. I’d suggest including your location using the guide in the link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom