I'm new ...

5tefanowich

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2018
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Never had chickens before.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Zero but I'm thinking of getting like 12 chickens and 2 roosters

(3) What breeds do you have?
I'm still deciding, I want chickens for eggs and I want also some chickens for the meat.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Spending time in my backyard and the chickens will help me a lot with that.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I like doing stuff around the house, projects.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Single, I have 2 kids and 2 grandkids. No pets and I'm an electrician by trade.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Just browsed the web and there you were...

BYC Welcome 8.jpg

Hi, make yourself at home here!

I agree with @Abriana about 1 rooster is enough for that many females. And if you've never raised them before, do your research so you'll have a better understanding of rooster behavior. The Learning Center (you'll find it under the Articles tab) is a great place to start.

Best wishes!

Oh wow.....never knew that. Thanks for the advise but now I have another question. What if I start with two different breeds?
Two different breeds of chickens? Or two different breeds of rooster? You can mix and match any breed really-some ornamental birds, like polish, may get picked on, however. Gentle natured breeds like EE’s (not technically a breed) and Orpintons will go well with any breed.
It does not matter the breed of rooster, it is still 1 roo-10 hens, unless you have a bantam rooster. Those are easier to handle, very pretty, small, and you can have at least two with ten hens. They are small, and won’t try to mate the hens very much.

Back
Top Bottom