I'm new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mbcarson, Oct 31, 2013.

1. mbcarson

mbcarson New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    I love this site! I have inherited 2 roosters, 12 hens and 3 ducks. I get approx 11 eggs per day. That's alot! I have a question on their yard/run. We have a heate lamp heated coop that has a chicken door to a dog run size yard. It is MUD right now. We have it partially covered and partially open for sunshine. What can we use in the run to prevent the mud? I was told DG, is that safe for them? Also, the ducks and chickens all get along great but is it ok to have them together? We are wanting to allow them to free range but I have fear of the coyotes out here.

Thank you:)

2. CackedNut

CackedNut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2013
    St. Tammany
    I won't be too much help, but I can say that SAND in the coop and run is the way to go! There are many links and discussions about using sand, and most people love it. I started with grass, started turning to mud, and brought in sand. It is the only thing I will use now.
    Good luck!

3. mbcarson

mbcarson New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    Thank you! I appreciate your help!

4. Domd28

Domd28 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    Cabot, AR
    I use a tarp with a pitch to it. We cover when it rains and pull back when it's dry. Works well for us and mud has not been an issue since we put it up.

5. mbcarson

mbcarson New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    I will try that too!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined us!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! X2 on the sand esp if you can't cover it, not sure what DG is? With the ducks and chickens, you might want to check the Managing Your Flock or the Duck boards.

8. mbcarson

mbcarson New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    I will look.. Thank you!

9. NammasChicks

NammasChicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    Western Washington
    Welcome! If one thing stresses me out, it is my birds being in wet muddy conditions! When visiting a "chicken lady" I noted immediately (upon exiting my car) that she had A LOOOOTTTT of birds, the second thing I noticed was it did NOT smell. Very deceiving!! :) As I toured her farm, I was able to ask many questions, and one was HOW does she keep it so clean and nice and not smelly with so many birds??? I assumed she must do a LOT of shoveling, daily. The answer was "no, no shoveling, except right under roosts". Her answer:

PINE STALL BEDDING (like for horses) is what she uses.

I have since learned it is the "Deep Litter Method", and I have been using it for over a year. WONDERFUL!!! Dry, happy pretty birds, no smelly yucky, and eh-hem, pretty easy. :)

My local feed store informed me that CLEAN BURN (as in for pellet stoves) is the same product but more for the money, has anyone else looked into that??

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by