I'm new

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vlippert, Aug 26, 2014.

1. vlippert

vlippert New Egg

Aug 26, 2014
    Hi there. I own Dominique and Brahma chickens. They all free range. The Brahmas are a new addition this year. If they crossbreed will it ruin the hens bloodlines like it does in dogs?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

If they interbreed the offspring won't be pure breeds anymore. But lots of us own Mutt chickens. LOL So unless you are raising pure breed show birds, it isn't a problem as far as the birds are concerned. :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Two Crows gave you good information, so I will just say [​IMG]

4. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    i'm wondering what my buff's and supposedly RIR's mix will look like,i won't mind at all though,to me chick's are chick's,on the RIR's since joining i have learned that most aren't the orginal antique breed,but i'm ok with that,i love the all[​IMG]

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

6. vlippert

vlippert New Egg

Aug 26, 2014
    I have heard that about the RIR too. Efowl sells two kinds. I don't care about them crossing, but I would like to know if I can separate them later and still use them for purebreeds. The biggest reason being because the Dominiques are an endangered heritage breed and I thought about trying to preserve the breed in the future.

7. vlippert

vlippert New Egg

Aug 26, 2014
    I have heard in dogs it will make the female not a purebred anymore. They all free range now and tend to stay in their own separate groups. We were gonna build a chickens tractor for the Brahmas, but haven't had time. I'm pretty sure I got my first egg from them since it's so small although they are only 3 months old right now.

8. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    yea,i love them,would like to have the orginal one's but i'm new to this so i have no idea,the man i got them from is older and raises buffs and RIR's on his private farm,they are all healthy and doing great,i'm thankful for that,i hope you get your new coop soon,we just finished the north wall in our coop tonight,well much earlier,lol,good luck[​IMG]

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! If you let them crossbreed the offspring will not be purebred. The female and male are what they are, you can't change their genetic make-up. Hens store sperm for up to 4 weeks after a single successful mating, so in order to produce purebred offspring you will need to keep the two different breeds separate for at least a month prior to collecting eggs for hatching.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by