Im NOT meant to have DUCKS.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by justusnak, Feb 18, 2009.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

This is my second batch of duck eggs this year....NOTHING!!! Dang it all. I know I have had the temps and humidity just right....this last set made it to pip, then died. [​IMG] I want Khaki Kambells!![​IMG] Maybe I need to just look locally...and buy some already grown ducks. I really wanted baby ducks so they would be tame. DANG it ALL!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    [​IMG] What was your temp and humidity at? I know it won't help for these, but maybe if you try again, you would have better luck?

3. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    sorry about that [​IMG]

4. tofuranch

tofuranch What Came First????

Dec 11, 2008
    Tell us more about how you are doing it, I have hatched out LOTS of this type of duck and I would be willing to help you out. They are so cute as babies and I like them as adults too.

How new are the eggs that you are setting??

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I got the eggs from a fellow BYC member. They were shipped. I am useing a LG still air, with turner. The temps were between 101,102.....humidity stayed between 45 and 50 the first 21 days....then to 70 for the last few days. The air cells were odd shaped, I guess from the shipping.

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

So, yesterday, one pipped...it was peeping most of the night...then quiet ALL day. I just assumed dead...and walked away sad. Well...I went to check one more time...and found this!
    [​IMG]

I have ONE duckling. Oh I hope Orschelins gets thier shipment tomorrow!!

7. tofuranch

tofuranch What Came First????

Dec 11, 2008
    Very nice duckling....yea for you that you have this one, they do well with chickens some of the very first hatches I only had 1 the first time and 2 the second and I just put them in with baby chickens.

I try to keep my incubator at 100 degs....also I will mist the eggs once a day if I remember to do it, but I forget more than I do it. At hatching humidity at about 70.

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Thats great! Also, waterfowl hatch alot better in a forced air incubator.

9. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Deb,

I am assuming those were the eggs we shipped you.

How disappointing [​IMG]

We just hatched 14 of 18 over the weekend with very similar environmental settings.

10. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Girl, bring them to me. I hatch ducks even when I don't want to. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by