I'm not supposed to intervene until the very last minute, right?

I would have had a 100% hatch rate, but I don't follow instructions. Lesson learned. Lockdown means don't open the incubator until they all hatch. Period. 😒😞

It happens during most hatches!

There is still hope though

Nope, the olive egger developed weird and didn't survive. One was apparently a late quitter, it was fine on day 14, but I just now candled it, and it was floaty and had a blood ring, and two were fully formed, but dead in the shell. One of those had started to pip, and today I decided to open the membrane where I could see it's beak was, and it was stiff.

I had two this morning with their beaks out, but unable to zip. Turns out they were shrink wrapped. I helped them out, and they are doing ok so far.

I would have had a 100% hatch rate, but I don't follow instructions. Lesson learned. Lockdown means don't open the incubator until they all hatch. Period. 😒😞
No...I had the incubator open a lot...mine were shipped eggs and some air cells were not where they were supposed to be - so in my case, I aided several chicks in getting out. All of them hatched. The humidity and temperature went pretty quickly back up and they were fine. Opening the incubator didn't kill your chicks. And my last one hatched on day 25...when I picked it up to throw it away, it cheeped at me.

Nope, the olive egger developed weird and didn't survive. One was apparently a late quitter, it was fine on day 14, but I just now candled it, and it was floaty and had a blood ring, and two were fully formed, but dead in the shell. One of those had started to pip, and today I decided to open the membrane where I could see it's beak was, and it was stiff.

I had two this morning with their beaks out, but unable to zip. Turns out they were shrink wrapped. I helped them out, and they are doing ok so far.
It sounds like a nice hatch! Good for you for opening them all up that did not hatch too.

No...I had the incubator open a lot...mine were shipped eggs and some air cells were not where they were supposed to be - so in my case, I aided several chicks in getting out. All of them hatched. The humidity and temperature went pretty quickly back up and they were fine. Opening the incubator didn't kill your chicks. And my last one hatched on day 25...when I picked it up to throw it away, it cheeped at me.
Shipped eggs often hatch oddly with lower hatch rates. It can be a lot of work

Back
Top Bottom