1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm not sure I can help him :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Denisemomof4, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Denisemomof4

Denisemomof4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    Our roo is painfully thin. I noticed he was just kind of quietly sitting in a corner last week and then a few days ago I saw his comb and wattles were bluing. I've placed him beneath a heat lamp but I didn't notice anything other than deep, slow breathing. He has periods where he's not bluing, and tonight I notice a LOT of white poop, and a couple bright green, mixed in with normal poops. He's listless. I don't know what to do for him! He has no symptoms of respiratory infection. I checked here over the weekend and am wondering if it's his heart.

He was fine when he was out with his girls (hens) but we removed him because one of the hens was all bloody. He ripped her feathers out regularly. This couldnt' be him giving up because he lost his girls, could it?

[​IMG]

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Have u checked him for mites and lice or checked his poo for signs of worms? I am thinking if there are no other symptoms of something respiratory then it is quite possibly mites/lice or worms.

3. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You could try worming the poor fella with some ivermectin pour on and give him some high protein meatbird feed for a week or two. Avian influenza also has 'bluing of comb' as a symptom listed in a packet I get every year as an NPIP participant. Apparently it doesn't always have respiratory symptoms. Good luck!

4. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Have you tried some Nutri drench and scrambled eggs to get him to eat? Might help

5. Denisemomof4

Denisemomof4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    I don't believe it's mites or lice as he's not itching.

I treated the birds for coccidia over the summer. It never occurred to me to worm him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by