I'm not sure what happened

Pitbull lover

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2019
I went outside to let my chickens out when I noticed my hen was bleeding from the rear area. I got her inside washed it. But I'm still not sure what happened. Any advice would be very helpful

Attachments

• received_2555021084775301.jpeg
    received_2555021084775301.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 14
Is she still bleeding? You’ll want to stop the bleeding (corn starch works) and wash the area. Then you’ll need to keep her in a dark & quiet place, away from other birds. She might’ve been pecked on, or have a broken egg in her vent causing bleeding, or something else. Hopefully someone else will give advice too.

I went outside to let my chickens out when I noticed my hen was bleeding from the rear area. I got her inside washed it. But I'm still not sure what happened. Any advice would be very helpful
Can you post some photos with it washed up?
It's hard to tell if that's dried blood or scabbed over tissue.
Has she been laying eggs consistently?

If she has tissue damage/wounds, clean the area well (saline, soapy water, chlorhexidine, etc.) . If there's fluff or feathers that will get into the wound trim those, then apply triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn.

I would try to determine why there was bleeding - was she picked on, was there a prolapse, does the poop have fresh frank blood after several poops, etc. After you figure that out, then decide whether she needs a longer observation inside or if she can go back out into a separation cage within the coop/run or next to the flock.

Can you post some photos with it washed up?
It's hard to tell if that's dried blood or scabbed over tissue.
Has she been laying eggs consistently?

If she has tissue damage/wounds, clean the area well (saline, soapy water, chlorhexidine, etc.) . If there's fluff or feathers that will get into the wound trim those, then apply triple antibiotic ointment or vetericyn.

I would try to determine why there was bleeding - was she picked on, was there a prolapse, does the poop have fresh frank blood after several poops, etc. After you figure that out, then decide whether she needs a longer observation inside or if she can go back out into a separation cage within the coop/run or next to the flock.
I put some spray on it which made everything purple. I did not see continued bleeding after everything was clean. I'm not sure if my other hens were picking on her. I'm planning on putting her with my other hens and seeing if that's better.

Is she still bleeding? You’ll want to stop the bleeding (corn starch works) and wash the area. Then you’ll need to keep her in a dark & quiet place, away from other birds. She might’ve been pecked on, or have a broken egg in her vent causing bleeding, or something else. Hopefully someone else will give advice too.
I didnt see anymore bleeding happening and I put some antibacterial spray on her that's meant for chickens. Shes away from all the chickens and shell stay there until she is healed then I'm going to put her with my other chickens and see if that helps.

I put some spray on it which made everything purple. I did not see continued bleeding after everything was clean. I'm not sure if my other hens were picking on her. I'm planning on putting her with my other hens and seeing if that's better.
Hope she gets better.
Is she familiar with the other hens that you are planning on putting her with?
If not, it would be good that she is healed when introduced. I would start with placing her in a coop/run right next to the hens and let them all see her. It can be a challenge introducing a single hen to a group of established birds.

Hope she gets better.
Is she familiar with the other hens that you are planning on putting her with?
If not, it would be good that she is healed when introduced. I would start with placing her in a coop/run right next to the hens and let them all see her. It can be a challenge introducing a single hen to a group of established birds.
She knows the mom hen. It's a hen with her 2 chicks they are over 12 weeks old now and they have been next to each other for a few weeks now. And I'm going to make sure shes fully healed before I put her in there.

Back
Top Bottom