Im out of options

cmobley

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 4, 2015
saraland alabama
I have 3 Jake's that's 3 months old I'm keeping one I've tried selling 2 I've tried giving 2 away. Im keeping one with the hen and I'll be adding hens from someone selling some. I tried to give him the 2 Jake's but he specifically raises what he calls wild eastern and nothing else. So I gotta cut some necks because these are starting to fight and the yard at my farm isn't near being completed yet. The question is is there enough meat on these young birds to justify killing them now or should I go with my last plan I have and try to pen these birds up sepeate from the one jake and hen. They're in a 12x20 yard but they free range my yard during the day to have space from each other.

I've tried every social media available I don't have Facebook but family and friends have been posting on there for me. I work in chemical plants and offer them to people there that have chickens and other fowl. I dunno if its the rising feeding cost or people just don't seem interested in adding to their flock this time of year I'm in south Alabama there are several turkey people around I see postings but no takers. And honestly yeah I hate giving them away when I can eat em I'm a hunter and trapper so I could use the parts not eatin for trapping sets meat as bait and feathers as set decor. But I don't wanna kill it if it aint worth the amount and quality of meat. I know most heritage are 24 week or older. I was wondering if any of yall that has had turkeys for a while has ever HAD to just do it because the other options didn't pan out.

Correction they're 17 weeks old now.
20210731_100559.jpg

Right now they are working out pecking order, real fighting will start in the spring. If it was me, I would let the extras fight and harvest them around 6 months old.
That sounds good thatll put em in the end of September/November range. Alot cooler down here and I'll have my big yard finished in a few weeks so I will be able to split them up. I just didn't want em being miserable everyday till then. Since it's just a pecking order thing and not all out brawling I can let em deal with that. I'm used to seeing my chickens pecking order but haven't got the pleasure of watching turkeys go through it. It is definitely a different dance lol.

Back
Top Bottom