I'm pretty disappointed.....

P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
Today was day 17 and the temp has decided in the last three days that it should be 98.8 degrees farenheit. Tonight, I turned the eggs for the last time and couldn't help but take one last peek. As of a week ago, there were 11 alive and well in the 'bator....Now there are only 6
hit.gif
. The aircell also seems kinda small when I compare them to the picture in the book (Gail Damerow's Guide to Raising Chickens). It says if the humidity's too high the aircell will be small? I've been keeping all the wells full (It's an LG 9200 w/ fan). What went wrong and how do I bring down the humidity to increase the aircell size to increase the humidity to prepare for the hatch?
hu.gif

Even with overly large chicks I wouldn't write them off yet. Do not bring the humidity down at this stage or you risk drying the membrane too much.

If you think humidity has been to high all along and the chicks are going to be overly wet put the eggs in an egg carton, rather than leaving them lay on their side. This way the odds of them puncturing the air cell and having fluid flow into it is reduced.

In the future, only fill one of the two wells during the first 18 days, if these chicks end up showing signs of having to much humidity. Then fill the other wells for the last 3 days.

We're now on day 19....I added to wet paper towels to the bottom of the incubator for extra humidity. Anyone else with advice??

If your humidity was too high for the first 18 days, I would not add wet paper towels for the hatch.

Jody

TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!! OH NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I added the paper towels yesterday morning. I can see the little humidity beads on the incubator windows...
hit.gif

Last edited:
If there's moisture on the window and your chicks aren't hatching yet, it's too wet. I'd crack the lid open and let some of that moisture out. You don't have a hygrometer?

No hygrometer....
sad.png
So, Katy, if there's moisture beads it's too wet, even on day 19? Should I take the paper towels out? Or is it too late?

I agree with Jody that you need to take the paper towels out. I very seldom get moisture on the windows even when the chicks are hatching and adding to the moisture level. If it's on the windows it's too high.

Do you think that's always the case? I measure my humidity accurately, at 67% and have a bit of condensation on the windows. They are not covered, just a bit around the edges. How could the humidity be too high, if it's not too high?

Back
Top Bottom