Im pretty sure one of my turkeys killed my silkie...

duck&chickencrazy

Songster
11 Years
Dec 2, 2008
Indiana
I went out tonight after I got off work to make sure all the chickens were in the coop for the night and I noticed my silkie was missing so I checked outside the coop in some of the spots the chickens would sleep if I didnt bring them in for the night and I saw a dark spot on the ground in the middle of the pen and sure enough it was my little silkie hen. Her head had been pecked clean of feathers and it was slightly swollen in spots from where she had been pecked. And there were claw marks around her. They are big claw marks. About the size of a turkeys claws. The claw marks were to big to be my roosters claw marks. This isnt the first time I have had a problem with my turkeys. My hen, Penny went after my polish hen and made her head bleed when I first introduced them. And my tom, Tommy, nearly killed a new roo. But this is a hen that has been in with the turkeys since she was fully feathered (shes about a year old). Not sure why the turkeys would kill her. What do you think? I will post pics of what she looks like and the claw marks in the morning...its not a pretty site...

sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

RobertH

sorry about the loss. i have never had issues with my turkeys other than the hens chasing my roosters but no actual damage but i do not pen them up either.

Back
Top Bottom