I'm proud of my duck =O)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BellLisamo, Feb 27, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    She has been laying eggs consistantly! She lays one a day... and right into the bator they will go. =O) hehhe.

I have 7 days to collect right?

Can i put chicks and ducks eggs in the bator together? I know ducks take longer and thats fine with me

2. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    You can collect every day and add to your incubator within reason, meaning a few days. I would candle for fertility and remove duds. Also, I would remove chicks/ducks and eggshells as soon as possible (dry babies and icky shells) as not to contaminate the newer eggs. You need to have a cut off point where you can shut the incubator down and disinfect it. The other problem could arise in raising humidity for hatching might be too high for new eggs. I have incubated duck and chicken together with good success within a few days of each other. I would date the eggs with a pencil.

3. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:can you see if they are fertile day one? or do i still need to wait a week?

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The only way to know for sure if they are fertile is by cracking them open (like 1 or 2) and checking for the bullseye. Or you could incubate them, that always works!! [​IMG]

You can actually keep the eggs up to 10 days before they start to loose viability. I would suggest saving them for at least a week, so you have plenty of time to clean and reset your hatcher.

Oh, and banter was referring to candling them and removing clears after you have set them in the bator.

One way you can 'get around' the need for higher humidity is by misting the duck eggs every day after day 4 until first pip. They need about 80% humidity for the hatch, but there are many people that have set duck and chick eggs at the same time with good results.

5. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:wow! thanks for all that helpful info!

6. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    you have fourten days to collect

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by