I'm ready to give up chickens...Please Help!!!

ChickenChik

Songster
9 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Kinsey, Alabama
Well it always seems like something. When one chicken isn't sick I'm looking for sickness in everyone. It is soo stressful. Anyway two days ago my silkie rooster started a twitch. His neck is twitching every now and then. I have no clue what it could be. I checked his crop and it isn't impacted. Please help. I feel like this is all too much.

when you say twitching, what do you mean. Like little head jerks, bobbing, flipping around? My first inclination when anyone talks about a young bird and it's head/neck twitching is wry neck

. But more info would be great. Length of behavior, severity, eating and drinking habits, poop color and consistency......

Well it has been going on for about 2 days it is more like a head bob to the side. He has been eating, drinking, and pooping normal. Does any know if it may be a vitamin deficiency?

I just treated my wee Omlet for that - and it doesn;t sound the same - sorry.

My wee chick just wouldn;t get up and when she did she fell over like drunk. Then she would sway and her little toes would go up in the air. So no it doesn;t sound much like what you have. But you could try to give infant Vitamins, liquid No Iron. it wouldn;t hurt to try and it shouldn;t do any harm. Don;t give up chickens!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is all worth it in the end!!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Oesdog -
jumpy.gif
hope someone has answers for you.

Last edited:
my silkie had/maybe still has that problem, (I recall reading that silkies skulls aren't fully closed and if they get hit right it may lead to some issues ill look it up again and keep you updated) as for my silkie it seemed to go away after a while. umm has your bird taken any noted hits to the head? hope i can help.

Thanks for everyone's response. Just kinda bummed today. I feel like I can't get this chicken thing right. I stress more about them than my dogs. I really have no clue what this could be. His eyes and nose are clear (is that a good sign)? Any other suggestions?

I know absolutely nothing about silkies. But, I would be giving him vitamins, yogurt and booing whatever you can to boost him system with good "things". I too have heard their skulls aren't closed completely and can suffer severe trauma to the head with what might be a slight injury. Unless someone more experienced in silkies pops in, I think you may be on a "wait and see" with this one.

I do want to say, chickens are fun, but it can be very sad and stressful when things happen that are out of our control. We do everything we know to be "right" and still bad things happen. I don' t think we should give up. Like the saying goes, "if at first you don't succeed, try try again".

Good luck. I hope your roo recovers.

If he was hit in the head, the symptoms are more like unsteadiness and dizziness. Look at him closely. Is he jerking because he is trying to "track" with his eyes but the world keeps spinning? They normally recover completely in a week or two, although I have had one beautiful roo actually die in a couple of hours after a peck to the head.
Exactly what do you feed your chickens? Nutrition could be an issue.....

Back
Top Bottom