I'm ready to give up...please help?!?

SouthernHoney

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
Tennessee
I had 3 hens that layed eggs just fine. Then In july, I purchased 5 more laying hens. I got eggs for the first couple of days and I haven't had an egg since mid July. WHY????? I thought it was stress related and I gave them plenty to stay busy with. Then it got hot and muggy and I thought they were just too hot- gave them ice and a fan. Then I thought it was molting time- but didn't see a lot of feathers. (I now know I was wrong because they later molted) Then I thought they maybe weren't getting enough sun and I bought them a heat lamp (because it's getting cold at nights now) and a uv lamp. It's been 2 1/2 - 3 weeks since I gave them the UV lamp and still no eggs. I've checked and checked and checked for signs that they are eating their eggs or that a critter was getting in and taking them. I put hay in their nest boxes. I have nest boxes with no hay (just in case)
They eat layer pellets, and I mix in dried meal worms, cracked corn, and grains. They also get fruits/veggies almost every day.

So... Either these hens need to start laying or I'm going to have a freezer full of chicken. I would prefer that they start laying.

How long ago did they molt? After a chicken molts, they need to get their body back up to a healthy weight before they can resume laying. You can help it along by giving them high protein treats. (cut out the corn) Mealworms are excellent protein. Are their combs still pale? Feathers still pale? If so, they aren't where they need to be yet to resume laying. The molting process can take several months, from the start of it to laying again. You just need to be patient, they are not egg machines.

While they are not laying is a good time to worm them. Worms could be slowing them down.

They do not need a heat lamp. If they need light use a house type bulb. Make sure you feed very FEW treats.

They need water ALL the time.

Yes, stop with the corn. What breed of chickens do you have? There are layers....and then there are consistent layers. Since you want eggs, you need a consistent layer breed.

I have 5 americana, one barred rock, one jersey giant and one black sexlink. The jersey, sex link and barred rock all laid regularly until we got the americana. We got bout 2 days of eggs after getting our americana hens and then all of them stopped laying. Since July, we've gotten 2 eggs total....and we have 8 hens.

I have 5 americana, one barred rock, one jersey giant and one black sexlink. The jersey, sex link and barred rock all laid regularly until we got the americana. We got bout 2 days of eggs after getting our americana hens and then all of them stopped laying. Since July, we've gotten 2 eggs total....and we have 8 hens.
How old are they? If you bought them as laying hens are you sure someone didn't sell you some older hens? Some chickens take the entire winter off so if it isn't warming up where you are yet they may be a while yet. Also, make sure that you aren't dealing with either egg eaters or predators that are coming in to steal them.

Back
Top Bottom