I'm really mad!

mineymoe

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
So on Saturday I had a neighbor call and ask if we would be willing to take a baby chick. Apparently, her sister gets baby birds (chicks, ducks, whatever) EVERY year for Easter and then after a couple of weeks when they get sick of them they dump them off somewhere. Well, when they did that this year, one of the baby chicks came back. My neighbor was at her sisters house when this happened, felt bad for the chick and brought it home - then called me because she didn't know what to do with it. Call me crazy but I think it is WRONG to treat animals like disposable toys that you can throw away when you loose interest in them and they aren't fun anymore!

So now I have this sweet baby chick - I can't put it with my 2 year old chickens because they will hurt/kill it, so right now I have it in a bird cage, all by itself. Every time I take it out of the cage it runs up my arm and "curls up" on my shoulder under my hair. The poor thing has to be scared and lonely. What do I do?

It really needs company. Get two (at least) other chicks, and until then give it a stuffed animal to snuggle with. Some people don't deserve to have animals
rant.gif

Yup i don't understand that as well I have a dog that has had a lot of problems and my own dad say well did you kill it
somad.gif
some people just don't understand animals are living creatures as well sad.

I know your right - I would love to get it company but I live in an area where we aren't supposed to have chickens. I have 3 already and I'm afraid to push my luck - 5 or 6 chickens may cause someone to complain. I hate to say it but finding it a good home is probably what I will have to do. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks all life is special.

Quote:
I don't understand why this child is getting baby animals of ANY kind if all they are going to do is discard them like a piece of trash when they get bored with it.. I think that is absolutely appalling and the parents need to STOP allowing it to happen! I do agree that this little one needs a buddy.. Chickens are social animals and get very lonely when alone.. For the moment, you can use a small teddy bear or other stuffed animal or even hand a feather duster by the handle in the cage so it can snuggle under it.. If you were near me, I would give you a chick or two that I just hatched out last week...

Goddess
jumpy.gif

I'm mad for you to. I do kitten foster for the local shelter and *pets as disposable stuffed toys* drives me out of my gourd! You might like this link since you've taken on a singleton, if you're up for it and can find another one close in age they would probably be happier. An ad on cl might work--rescued an Easter *discard* that would really like a friend around the same age-- Anyhow, heres the link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=325737

Little chickie is lucky to have you!

Thank you for taking care of the little chick !!!!

I can't stand it when people get animals and then "dispose" of them if they are getting tired of it.
somad.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif

I would also suggest putting a little mirror in there for her. I had a chick who lost her sister and was by herself for a week or so until I could find her a buddy. She would stand in front of the mirror and talk to herself all day.

In response to greengoddess' comment:

This is not a child that is getting baby birds---ITS THE PARENTS!!! They get baby birds for their kids every year for Easter and then dump them off somewhere after a few weeks. I don't know what they are thinking!

Back
Top Bottom