I'm really not sure what I've got on my hands here.....

CrzyCknLady

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
I grabbed this little lady from my kids school - I loved her because she was the "runt" and well......in the three weeks I've had her, she hasn't gotten any bigger. She is now the same size as my 3 week old barred rock's...... I'm kind of worried about her. She is about 8 weeks old and just so tiny! As soon as I let her out in the run, all of my 9 week old chickens began to attack her - which is odd since they don't bother her inside the coop at night......

Is there something wrong with her? Any clue what kind she is? She had a rough birth and from what I understand, needed some help coming out of the shell and right afterward (getting the cord off???? - I don't know what the term is since I've never hatched chickens before).

Here she is with my BR's - which were about 2.5 weeks old in this picture....just so you can see how small she is in comparison.

Then - I also have 4 of these TS straight run chickens. I have no idea what they are - I just know they are about 8 weeks old now.... And I'm in denial that all 4 are cockerels. I'm really hoping they are just a breed with a big comb. :)

Your new chick is a Welsummer pullet. She looks about a week older than your Rocks so I think she'll be fine. The cockerels look to be BLRW mixed with Welsummer.
I grabbed this little lady from my kids school - I loved her because she was the "runt" and well......in the three weeks I've had her, she hasn't gotten any bigger. She is now the same size as my 3 week old barred rock's...... I'm kind of worried about her. She is about 8 weeks old and just so tiny! As soon as I let her out in the run, all of my 9 week old chickens began to attack her - which is odd since they don't bother her inside the coop at night......

Is there something wrong with her? Any clue what kind she is? She had a rough birth and from what I understand, needed some help coming out of the shell and right afterward (getting the cord off???? - I don't know what the term is since I've never hatched chickens before).

Here she is with my BR's - which were about 2.5 weeks old in this picture....just so you can see how small she is in comparison.

Then - I also have 4 of these TS straight run chickens. I have no idea what they are - I just know they are about 8 weeks old now.... And I'm in denial that all 4 are cockerels. I'm really hoping they are just a breed with a big comb. :)

Actually - she's about 4 weeks older than the BR's. The school got 72 eggs - only ended up with 17 chickens hatching.
hmm.png
I put her in with my babies because she was the same size - they are now getting bigger than her and she appears to be the same size as she was three weeks ago. :( I might start weighing her to see if she is getting bigger or not....

I got my oldest chickens 9 weeks ago - then the school chicks started hatching the next week - so she's between 7 & 8 weeks old. When I went in the school, she was half the size of the rest of the chicks in the classroom and they all hatched within a couple days of each other. I saw a picture tonight of the other girls/boys that hatched at the same time and she really is about 1/4 of the size of them.

Those straight run chicks look like partridge rocks to me.

She does look like she is only 4 weeks old. Not because of the size, but because of the feathering. She could be a bantam, but still should have more feathers for 7 weeks.

Last edited:
The little one looks like my OEGB/Silkie mixes. I can't find any pictures of her when she looked like that - but here's one taken about a month ago. I know it sounds crazy, but when she was still feathering, she had yellow legs too. They have slowly turned darker, like her brother and other sisters legs.

Back
Top Bottom