I'm rehoming only 1 of my chickens. Have I made a horrible mistake?

Jul 11, 2020
So nearly 4 months ago I got two 4 day old silkie chicks. I absolutely adore them and honestly, I spoil them rotten. As they began to grow I noticed one of my chickens has turned out to be a rooster. I was devastated. I live in a residential area with very close neighbours. I tried to hide it and did everything I could the past month to keep him quiet but it was futile as you probably would have guessed. I had to give over the rooster. I had the hard decision of separating the two chickens I raised together or rehoming them both. After a lot of tears and some convincing, I decided to only rehome the rooster. I found him a lovely new home with heaps more land than I have and I know he will have a great life there. It's the night before I have to go drop him off and I have broken down. I regret deciding to separate them and am worried that the hen I am keeping will be lonely. My family has been lovely and bought me a new silkie hen to keep my current one company but I can't get the thought out of my head. They say I am being overly dramatic and that they are chickens and will get over it. Have I made a mistake? Should I have sent them together? Will they be okay?

I have to give away cockerels every year, and don't like it at all. Dealing w extra boys is part of chicken raising. Most will end up being eaten, so if you found a good home, be relieved.
I am not understanding your numbers you said you had 4, and then 1, after rehoming the rooster. What happened to the other 2?

What happened to the other 2?
Yes sorry for my poor wording. I have 2 chickens and i got them when they were 4 days old. Thats why I'm worried about taking one away. they have been raised together and I'm worried that the hen i am keeping will be lonely.

Do not beat yourself up.

With the new companion your remaining Silkie will not be lonely and the cockerel will have a great life. Best solution for everyone.

And maybe you might even be able to go and visit him every once in a while and see him enjoying his new life.
Thank you for the kind words. I hope you are right. I've read that chickens have buddies and get lonely when they are taken away. I still don't feel too good about my decision

If the hen you are keeping has a new buddy, she should be happy! The roo sounds like he is going to a great new home too! Don’t worry, I’m sure he’ll have lots of new ladies to have some “fun” with! I don’t think he’ll miss her too much! Both should be happy! You can always ask to visit the roo occasionally!

Yes sorry for my poor wording. I have 2 chickens and i got them when they were 4 days old. Thats why I'm worried about taking one away. they have been raised together and I'm worried that the hen i am keeping will be lonely.
you worded it right, spelling the two and using 4 for age. I should have looked more carefully.
Yes definitely try to find a friend for your pullet. Where do you live?
I wish you luck!

Back
Top Bottom