im sad i need advice

pefferlawchicken

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
ontario, canada
ok so its been about 4 days with this sraddled leg chick and no improvement hes not lifting his head and not eating , i used the band aid thing and it held him upright but then his head pulls him down , i dont think its getting any better so what is the easyest and humaine way to cull
sad.png

Ooohhh, I'm not the person to give you the best advice on that, but I do understand your sadness. Is there anything with the leg support that you might try to adjust or arrange in a different way? Have you read on here about Vitamin deficiencies helping with various neck problems? Vit B is one I know. Maybe you could do a search.
I'm probably just grasping here, but that's my nature... I'm sorry. Chin up and maybe get some more chicks.
smile.png

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with a chick I got from a hatchery, and since he couldn't it I had to cull. We got a butcher knife and placed it on its neck, and very quickly forced it down to remove its head. It was so quick and since it was only a chick the neck was very easy to cut through. Another quick way would be a pair of VERY sharp, strong scissors, like kitchen/meat scissors. Good luck!!!
hugs.gif
It's hard to do, but in the end it's better for the chick then letting it starve to death. Let us know how it turns out, and HAPPY EASTER!

I really don't know about the best way to cull (probably the head removal if you can handle it) just wanted to tell you a story so you feel like yes, you are doing the right thing. My mother has a handicapped chicken. When she came in an order we split she just seemed weak but quickly progressed to what you are describing. I asked her over and over to let me put her down and she never did. She is now 9 weeks old and has never taken a single step. While I wouldn't dream of culling her now, she is a sweetie and now we are all very attached, I know it would have been better for everyone involved if she had done it when she was tiny. Right now I am trying to figure out how to make a permanent wheelchair type device for this chicken so she doesn't have to always lay down. Good luck and I am sorry you have to do this. Just know you are doing the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom