I'm Sending Feed to be Analyzed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
UPDATE:

@Sherry68lynn has kindly offered to send some ad feed my way! Thank you!!!!

I'll send it off as soon as it arrives

I've got an unopened bag of Dumor that I bought the same time as two other bags on which my chickens laid no eggs. Do you want some? If so PM me and tell me how much and where and when our winter storm breaks on Friday I'll ship it to you.

Edit: I do want to know. I don't like wondering and not knowing the facts. I'd love to see protein and Met and lysine tested specifically.

UPDATE:

@Sherry68lynn has kindly offered to send some ad feed my way! Thank you!!!!

I'll send it off as soon as it arrives
Ok - absolutely NO offense in this comment, but...

If someone says their feed is bad and then they send you "some" of it. They will have had the opportunity to taint it and make themselves correct.

I think what you're doing is awesome, but if you're trying to be scientifically accurate - which I think you are - then you need to purchase the same brand from a store and not take a possibly tainted sample.

I'm sure Sherry is on the up and up, but to show her to be correct, she can't have supplied an open example sample of her feed. She also deserves to be correct.

I'm on everyone's side, I'm just trying to get a good test.

I hadn't heard about theory that bad feed was causing poor laying until today. One thought I had was to wonder if feed could have ben stockpiled (either by feed stores of by individuals) over the winter due to concerns about weather/supply uncertainty. Expired is less nutritious and could have an effect on egg laying. I also wondered if certain standards could have been relaxed in sourced feed ingredients due to supply chain issues or in a push to try to keep costs down. I know that corn, wheat, etc. grown in poor soil will not be as nutritious. Maybe some lots were made with the "same" but not as high a quality of ingredients?

But first, I would first be interested in understanding if there really are a measurable number of chicken keepers who are experiencing depressed chicken laying -- taking into consideration time of year and age of flock. I haven't followed the issue enough to know if there is really a problem, or just a couple of very vocal people on social media.

I know that corn, wheat, etc. grown in poor soil will not be as nutritious. Maybe some lots were made with the "same" but not as high a quality of ingredients?

Feed mills test each batch of ingredients as they come into the mill and adjust their formulation according to that information.

if there really are a measurable number of chicken keepers who are experiencing depressed chicken laying -- taking into consideration time of year and age of flock.

My theory is that people's Covid chickens are hitting their 3rd winter and the natural slowdown to be expected from hens of that age in winter and, because they don't know what's normal for chickens -- it being their first flock -- they think that there is something wrong that must have some kind of external cause.

If someone says their feed is bad and then they send you "some" of it. They will have had the opportunity to taint it and make themselves correct.

I think what you're doing is awesome, but if you're trying to be scientifically accurate - which I think you are - then you need to purchase the same brand from a store and not take a possibly tainted sample.

Whether a sample from an open bag can be trusted will partly depend on the results of the test.

If the lab finds something bad in the feed, that should not be present, then we have the question of who added it and when they put it in. In that case, purchasing a fresh bag with the same brand & lot number would be better. (But that would still leave the lab, the purchaser, and the feed company as possible suspects, along with anyone who might have worked in the manufacturing plant where the feed was made.)

But if the lab says the feed is low in something, or if the lab says the feed is fine, then it probably was a valid sample. Those results are not as easy to fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom