I'm Sending Feed to be Analyzed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I suppose I have a mini experiment going on in my own flock. One hen is laying 2 eggs every 3 days. She's 18 months old. Three others might have laid since I found the first post-molt egg on December 2, but not in the last couple of weeks. They all get the same feed: Kalmbach 20% Flock Maker.

We've had really wonky weather this winter. Lots of snow, then none. Very cold, then quite a bit warmer than average. Much less sunlight than usual.

So. Why is Stormy the only one laying? Blame it on Midnight. Blame it on the Bossanova. Ok, out of song titles. Blame it on the effect of sunspots over Terre Haute, Indiana.

I don't know. That's my answer. I think as the hours of light increase, more eggs will be coming my way. We're in for a very cold week, and I don't expect more eggs than what I'm getting from StormyBird in the near term. So it goes.

I applaud @AuntAgnes taking the time to send feed in for testing. I'm interested in seeing the results.

Whether a sample from an open bag can be trusted will partly depend on the results of the test.

If the lab finds something bad in the feed, that should not be present, then we have the question of who added it and when they put it in. In that case, purchasing a fresh bag with the same brand & lot number would be better. (But that would still leave the lab, the purchaser, and the feed company as possible suspects, along with anyone who might have worked in the manufacturing plant where the feed was made.)

But if the lab says the feed is low in something, or if the lab says the feed is fine, then it probably was a valid sample. Those results are not as easy to fake.
Agreed.

Feed mills test each batch of ingredients as they come into the mill and adjust their formulation according to that information.

My theory is that people's Covid chickens are hitting their 3rd winter and the natural slowdown to be expected from hens of that age in winter and, because they don't know what's normal for chickens -- it being their first flock -- they think that there is something wrong that must have some kind of external cause.
And lets not forget the millions of commercial layers that had to be culled due to AI last summer.

Whether a sample from an open bag can be trusted will partly depend on the results of the test.

If the lab finds something bad in the feed, that should not be present, then we have the question of who added it and when they put it in. In that case, purchasing a fresh bag with the same brand & lot number would be better. (But that would still leave the lab, the purchaser, and the feed company as possible suspects, along with anyone who might have worked in the manufacturing plant where the feed was made.)

But if the lab says the feed is low in something, or if the lab says the feed is fine, then it probably was a valid sample. Those results are not as easy to fake.
Right, and IF there actually is something wrong with the feed, I would think it is more likely be something missing or low rather than something that is not supposed to be there at all.
Also with an opened bag you would have to discount any spores or bacteria etc. that could have potentially gotten into the feed after it was opened

to be honest, the more samples the better the experiment. also, if this is a regional issue, samples from across the country might help pin point it.
I'm pretty sure its not regional. Either way, still not sure how a perfectly fine batch of feed would do anything besides cost money. Especially considering mine isn't from one of the brands people are blaming
I really think it's a darn coincidence that people are mad about not getting enough eggs the same year that grocery stores eggs are $8/dzn. I could be proven wrong, but logic seems to prevail most of the time in my experience.
I'm with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom