I'm Sending Feed to be Analyzed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
That doesn't mean they don't report some truths
That's what I meant by "not 100%"
Of course it's all being fed to us, that doesn't mean that everything is false or even twisted. I take it with a pinch of salt. But dare I say I believe plenty of reports and agree with the published viewpoints, sometimes.

Just found this thread today. (I was actually looking for pvc pipe feeder ideas) But our story is we keep (in rotation) about 3-4 50# bags of feed. TSC Dumor brand. Our 6 layers were going good until December. We typically get 5-6 eggs a DAY. Mixed breeds, although my wife would know them all. Then all except our olive egger completely stopped laying. At first we didn't think much of it because we had a super cold few days here in the Midwest. But after a couple of weeks of 2-4 eggs a WEEK we knew something was up. My intuition was that it was something feed related, probably not enough protein. So we switched to Kalmbach brand along with supplementing oyster shells. After two weeks egg rate is back to 5-6 per day. I still have half a bag of what we were feeding, and two more full bags. Matter of fact, I recall now, that leading up to the zero production that the shells were really thin (versus what we were used to). The day I got the different feed I ask my wife to check her fauxbook (I don't have an account) to see if other people were having the same problem. She's in a bunch of local prepper groups. Turns out there was a lot of people in our area that experienced zero egg production. Looks like it started 6 to 8 weeks before we had a problem. There were all using Dumor and all of them said it took about a week or two get back to regular production. The reason we lagged behind everyone else is because of our 3-4 bag buffer we give ourselves. It took us longer to run into the same problem.

I can send you some feed we were using when we stopped with Dumor, and/or let me know who to contact to get it tested. I live in Ohio.

I will follow up this post with pictures of old and new feed information and bird ages / breeds tonight. I will try to look for lot numbers on the old feed. Any other information that would be helpful? Or you're curious about?
So here's my hens age:

Turning 2 years old in april
isa brown
RIR
barred rock

1.5 years old
amberlink
Wyandotte
olive egger

So attached, hopefully, is the kalmbach we switched to. I will follow with dumor product attachment.

Attachments

• 20230207_074241.jpg
    20230207_074241.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230207_074300.jpg
    20230207_074300.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 8
I believe you can ask your local extension to test the feed. BUT as serious as the feed issues are,, maybe a private party not related to any government.
My girls haven't not started laying, as they are not old enough yet. However I did purchase a bag of purina for my quail. Never ever again. I should have know better. I started with quail before my chickens. And purchased kalmbach at a local feed store. When I purchased the purina, it was the only brand they carried. The poop smell was definitely more noticeable with purina vs kalmbach. I poured the bag into several 5 gallon buckets with a lid. The last 3/4 of the 2nd bucket developed bugs. I tossed it in the field. Never again.

So this dumor label was a "tab" sewn into the bottom of the bag. I did the best I could to get the most print, but what you see is what was possibly left to save. Also, reading the label I found the parts I circled in red interesting. I'm not saying they're nefarious. But if I were trying to be which would direction would I take? Printing this info ON THE BAG, or on a tab that can easily be swapped on a moments notice that will probably get ripped off or obfuscated during handling.

Attachments

• 20230207_184354.jpg
    20230207_184354.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230207_184226.jpg
    20230207_184226.jpg
    583.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230207_074416.jpg
    20230207_074416.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230207_074450.jpg
    20230207_074450.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230207_074520.jpg
    20230207_074520.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 4
So this dumor label was a "tab" sewn into the bottom of the bag. I did the best I could to get the most print, but what you see is what was possibly left to save. Also, reading the label I found the parts I circled in red interesting. I'm not saying they're nefarious. But if I were trying to be which would direction would I take? Printing this info ON THE BAG, or on a tab that can easily be swapped on a moments notice that will probably get ripped off or obfuscated during handling.
That's good advice. They are telling you not to feed a high calcium formulation (layer) to birds that aren't laying - because excess calcium is bad for birds. Particularly bad for roosters, hatchligns, pre-adolescents.

Nothing nefarious - they are assuming ignorance on the part of their buyers.

/edit and the tag is done the way it is to show that it was tagged at the time the bag was sewn shut - to keep labels from being swapped.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom