IM SO ANGRY

oh my
sad.png
that is awful, sorry for your loss

I'm so sorry! I experienced the same type of damages to an entire flock of my ducks last year and it was a huge raccoon. Just last week, my friend lost a large group of ducks and chickens to a raccoon and it was the same description of devastation.

I HIGHLY doubt its a raccoon whatever it was it climbed up and sat on the galvanized poop tray and waited for something to walk over and then grabbed it. So it has to be like a small animal right? I'm hoping its a weasel or something cuz if thats what it is I got no problem eliminating a weasel or rat but a raccoon thats to big of an animal to take on lol.

Quote:
A raccoon can and will hang on the pen to get the birds. Have even seen were they pull wire from pens. Set a live trap big enought for a coon.

Just dont understand why you think it cant be a coon. Had them eat legs off of quail thru 1/2 hardware.

it sounds like a coon really I know you dont want to believe it but there is no place in ny that does not have them and everything you have described points to how they behave. Sorry
sad.png

Lost my pretty little group of 6 quail the same way; definitely raccoon. They're agile, limber, wonderful climbers, very adept at opening anything a toddler or young child could manage, and they're VERY, VERY widespread in ALL areas, urban, suburban, & rural. they can live on almost anything or almost nothing, and have no compunction about killing EVERYTHING (including kittens, young birds, eggs from nests, young rabbits, or any other small prey) that it comes across. Beautiful to look at, funny to watch, but not so much when you see the devastation they can cause.
sad.png

a rat can and will do that - I had a friend who had baby rabbits that rats pulled them through 1/2x1'' floor wire with a pan underneath - and partially ate them. I've also had one time a 5 week old Holland Lop that was blind (a friend was going to put it down so I took it home in hopes to save it) and the first night it was here, a rat (or rats) completely ate it and left only the picked-clean skull in the cage. Rats are nasty nasty creatures........

Quote:
I find this funny, you are doubting its a raccoon EVEN THOUGH your experience is identical to a lot of our experiences. Maybe you are experiencing the first encounter in NY with a Chupacabra!!

Get a live trap and put some catfood under the trip pan, you will wake up to a raccoon. If you catch one, call animal control or drown it in the trap. Once they find your birds as a food source, you either get rid of the birds, or the enemy, your choice! And yes, raccoons are very agile and very very strong, strong enough to rip wires off of cages if they have to, i'll post a picture tomorrow of what they can do to a trap when they want to get out, put it this way, it added some charactor to my trap!...............Jason

Back
Top Bottom