I'm so confused and so is my chicken?!!

Pip's chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
Central AR
I have 4 buff brahmas that are about 21 weeks old. Two of them are big beautiful roo's...they crow...they are colorful, glossy, and have huge combs. One is definetly a hen (alothough not laying yet) she is small, duller in color, and looks nothing like Roostie and Skip. However the fourth is very confusing! She/he is very large like the roo's, is similar in color....but I have never heard a sound from it. No crowing and is in the hen boxes early in the am. It's tail looks similar to the roo's but is is much shorter and blunter. It does have a comb and waddlers but they are not anything like the other two's?? Is it possible to have a very masculine hen? I watch for tell tail signs of either gender but it is almost like she/he is a mix of both male and female! Any suggestions?
smile.png

I’m going to guess based off what you have said that your he/she is a rooster. I’ve found that some roosters are later bloomers than others and tend to be the ones that are less dominant. I had a similar situation with three young roosters. Two of them were obvious roosters in look/character/crow but the third was puzzling because I never heard him crow and he seemed to develop other obvious rooster characteristics at a much slower rate.

Back
Top Bottom