I'm so depressed

I should ask too, have you picked them up and felt them to see if they feel like they are laying. You should be able to feel a spread of the pelvic bone opening to about 3 finger widths wide. That could give you some idea about whether they are coming into lay or not and if they do feel wide enough, I would look closer for invaders snatching the eggs. Lock you coop too in case it is a 2-legged swiper.

did you switch their feed? what kind of feed are you giving them? how dark is the hen house, can they get out or have plenty of windows for when the sun comes up?

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. I really appreciate your ideas.
I gave up and figured, I'm not getting eggs anyway, so I let them all out to free range. It doesn't matter if they lay in the yard now, hopefully they'll just be happy and that will make me feel better.
I'll just buy eggs from the guy down the street to sell to my coworkers.

I just read the rest of the questions so let me answer them.
I've raised some of the girls from chicks but not all of them. I wondered if they were old too but I know they're not all old.
They were laying when we first got rid of the skunk so I know they're the right age.
If someone were going into the coop the geese would alert me so I know it's not that (the geese free range).
I haven't switched their feed until this week when I started giving them the leftovers from the teenagers (figured they're not laying anyway, they don't need all the protein).
The hen house has one door that is always open (man size door) so it stays a little dark in the coop all the time (I heard that was good, more relaxing). No windows. I don't lock the door at night so as soon as the sun comes up they can come out if they would like.

Our weather has been cool and rainy here. No big heat wave, yet my hens have really slowed down to a tad over 50% of their production a month ago. (I know, because I keep a spreadsheet) Everyone looks healthy, and everything is still the same: feed, free-ranging, water, treats, etc. And I've heard from many chicken-keepers in this area that they are experiencing a noticeable slowdown in production too. I've been wondering, depending upon the amount of reserves the hens have left, whether our lower egg production might be related to or exacerbated by the unseasonably low light conditions here, due to so much cloud cover (it's been more like March weather here).

Anyway, don't feel left out.
roll.png

I have noticed there are a lot of posts from people asking why their production has suddenly dropped so low. Since I've only been on the board for a few months I'm not sure, but is that normal or is this something that's happening more than in one select area? Is it seasonal? Is it global warming? Peer pressure? Are they hooked into BackYardHumans Forum to discuss what they're supposed to be doing? Is it a chicken conspiracy?

Ok so you've wormed them right? Could it be your hens are too fat? Fat hens don't lay well. Check you coop every hour see who's in the nest. Or if someone is. Keep them inside for a day or so and see what happens. Also I didn't notice what breeds you had. Have you checked the laying percentage for each breed. Some only lay 250 a year. Some even less. Is your coop locked at night? Ya know I had a chipmunk once that I'm pretty sure took an egg.
I'd keep checking the coop.

Have you tried worming? A year or so ago I had a hen that's comb went pale (wasn't bright red like normal) she looked kind of ratty and stopped laying. After doing some BYC investigating I found it it could be worms so I wormed my 4 girls. Sure enough in two days or so her comb was red and she was laying agin...Just a thought.

About the waterer. I have mine on concrete blocks to elevate it off the ground bit. It is just your standard waterer.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom