I'm so envious!

SoCal-chick

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 17, 2007
San Diego
Today is day 21 since I placed 8 eggs I purchased from a BYC member under my broody hen and I am so envious of those who can watch the progress through the window on an incubator. My hen, Iris, has been pretty patient with me when I feel around under her for any signs of eminent hatching but now I think I should leave her be and wait for any little heads to poke out from under her. But I am so anxious! What if they need my help! I know this is the way nature intended it to be, but I want as many as possible to make it!

welcome-byc.gif

I have never had any chicks that started to hatch not make it while under a hen. I have had some not make it in an incubator though. I tried to help them but they ended up not making it anyway. So I'm sure your little ones will be just fine. I think its almost more exciting to hear them under the hen and see their little heads popping out than seeing them in an incubator.

welcome-byc.gif
Mahlzeit and YumaJohnny,

I have never had a hen that hatched eggs. I hope all goes well for you and your broody!!

Thank you for the encouragement. This morning my daughter gently felt under the momm and we have at least one egg zipping! By the time I got back from taking her to school there was a little 'fuzzy butt' peeking out from under momma! I scooped out the remains of two shells and who knows how many are hiding under there.

Back
Top Bottom