I'm So Excited!

Crisa

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2016
Oklahoma
Hi there! My name is Crisa and I live in Oklahoma with my husband and 16 month old, along with three dogs (a Mastiff, Chihuahua, and a Rat Terrier). I'm a veterinary assistant and I have a passion for animals!

When my son was born, I dropped all of my hobbies and dedicated my time to work and my son. I realized that I needed something else in my life and thought of chickens! My husband was raised on a farm and had several Rhode Island Reds when he was a kid (he actually greatly dislikes and fears them now due to the roosters and their spurs). But I convinced him to let me have 3-4 chickens for our backyard in the city (I have ordered Black Australorp chicks that will arrive in February).

I'm super excited and I've been reading, watching videos, visiting chickens, and looking up stuff on Pinterest about them! I have managed to rig my old dog crate into a brooder box for my arrivals! I put a slightly smaller sized cardboard box in the wire dog crate and lined the bottom with paper towels along with a chick feeder, waterer, and roost. I'm just waiting for my Ecoglow to help keep the chicks warm.

Please bear with me as I am super new, super nervous, and super excited about becoming a chicken mama!

Welcome!
frow.gif
We are here to enable - I mean help you any way we can! I'm sure it won't be long before Chicken Math strikes.... be cautious of your dogs around chickens - terriers can be problematic..... good luck in your endeavors
smile.png

Yes, and one sneeze from a Mastiff would be like a tornado to them.
gig.gif
Welcome to Backyard chickens, hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Hi, welcome and all the best with your impending chicken adventure. So many great peeps here at BYC to help you out so don't be nervous :)

All the best
Ct

Thank you for the warm welcome!

My chickens will be kept in a sturdy enclosure as my terrier does have a tendency to hunt anything that moves. I will be slowly introducing them to my chickens to help them become accustomed to them in the backyard. And yes, one sneeze may blow my chicks away! Haha!

And yes, I'm looking forward to getting the Ecoglow, and I've actually decided to purchase a large plastic tote as my brooder box instead since the feedback I got on my FB chicken site suggested cardboard may not be the best for a brooder box.

Plastic totes are nice and easy to modify and last for years. Truly the bigger the better, otherwise you will be swapping out every few weeks. Like kids, they grow like weeds!!
smile.png

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Black Australorps are a wonderful breed; extremely hardy in both heat and cold, calm and gentle (good lap pets), and excellent layers of large brown eggs. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom