I'm so excited!!

Here's my update, It has been almost a whole year since I bought my first dozen of chickens. When I first started I had about 80 birds plus 12 ducks. Since then we put a dozen in the freezer and in the summer I sold 26 roosters. I unfortunely had a couple beautiful roosters die for reasons unknown, a couple of hens died due to being handled to rough by the roosters. I also got a labradoodle and a lab pup this summer and well they decided to help themselves to fresh lunch. We sold the labradoodle she was too much she killed ducks. The chocolate lab we have has had some chicken but, for the most part he is much better now. He just chews up everything else instead of on the chickens. The chickens have an acre of land and trees fenced in that they freely roam. Currently I have between 25-30 hens and I think 7 roosters that are going to be going in the freezer. Sometimes those roosters can be so dang mean. So we the worlds most expensive Free Eggs ever and they taste great. We donate about 30 dozen to the local food bank a month.

Here's my update, It has been almost a whole year since I bought my first dozen of chickens. When I first started I had about 80 birds plus 12 ducks. Since then we put a dozen in the freezer and in the summer I sold 26 roosters. I unfortunely had a couple beautiful roosters die for reasons unknown, a couple of hens died due to being handled to rough by the roosters. I also got a labradoodle and a lab pup this summer and well they decided to help themselves to fresh lunch. We sold the labradoodle she was too much she killed ducks. The chocolate lab we have has had some chicken but, for the most part he is much better now. He just chews up everything else instead of on the chickens. The chickens have an acre of land and trees fenced in that they freely roam. Currently I have between 25-30 hens and I think 7 roosters that are going to be going in the freezer. Sometimes those roosters can be so dang mean. So we the worlds most expensive Free Eggs ever and they taste great. We donate about 30 dozen to the local food bank a month.
Thanks for the update! Sorry about the loss of your ducks. :hugs

Welcome!! I thought I made a big leap with 10! Turns out we’ve got a Rooster and of course he’s our sweetest most love able bird. He’s gonna stick around as long as he’s got a sweet demeanor. My girls have been calling him UFO..... Unidentified fluffy object 😂😂 well now we know he’s a barred rock cockerel. I can’t wait to hear more about your adventures!

Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! Are you raising chickens for the purpose of supplying the local food bank with eggs? That's pretty nice of you. Sorry to hear of your many tragic losses. It does seem like you have too many roosters (I'm thinking they are actually cockerels). You might have less injury to your hens/pullets if you keep the ratio at about 1 rooster/cockerel to 10 hens/pullets. But, not always. There are some mean cockerels out there.

Back
Top Bottom