I'm so frustrated!!

triggfamily5

Songster
9 Years
Mar 30, 2010
Moorcroft, WY
I think I am not meant to hatch this year
sad.png

I received a free working hovabator this year, and I was so excited. I filled it up (after letting it run a week) with a bunch of my own eggs (all for purposes of testing of course) with what I thought was a 50/50 chance of fertility. Not a one even started
hit.gif

So, I ordered a dozen silkie eggs (for broody's) from someone on ebay, for $.99, That way hubby wouldn't be upset with the price., Headed into this knowing shipped eggs you are lucky to get a 50% hatch. Well, 6 started, and 6 didnt. But, 4 died in the early stages.

Lockdown was supposed to be the night of 6/22 with only 2 left (they were still moving when I went to work)...

Mother Nature decided we needed to have severe storms run through and cut out power from about 6 last night to 4 this morning..
smack.gif

I saw the temp drop to 86 (while chasing all the leaks in the house from the torrential rains, 6 inches in 3 hours) and I put them against my body in my bra, laid in my recliner and covered myself up with blankets. Had the kids get hand warmers out and set up a cooler to put them in with the hand warmers... But I don't think they made it, I don't see any movement
barnie.gif

I REALLY want to hatch this year, all DH said was "maybe you should wait until summer". Well, geez, what do you think it is
duc.gif
maybe he meant next summer
idunno.gif

I guess I just needed to rant, and be content with the chicks I have this year. I don't think he will bite off on my ordering more eggs
rant.gif

Hope you have better luck next time.

I've tried incubating twice, and got two birds to show for it. I got a Brower 'bator from a co-worker, and put in nine of our BO eggs. The temps went wild, and got up to 107° one day. I thought they were cooked, but I left them in, just in case. Two hatched. One hen and one roo.

The second time, I got a good thermostat, and it kept the temps within a two-degree range. I put in a dozen Americauna eggs I got off eBay. Not a single one ever developed.

Back
Top Bottom