I'm SO much happier!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 09northernchick, May 8, 2009.

1. 09northernchick

09northernchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    I had been using paper towel on top of newspaper and have been having to change the paper towel many times through the day. And they were eating their droppings [​IMG]

I was also having trouble with them pooping in their water dish and having to clean that several times a day too.

They were eating the shavings so I couldn't just go that route. So I went ahead and used the mesh idea and I love it! It is probably a bit bigger mesh than it should be but that's what I had available. They don't seem to be having too much trouble with it.
    And then I moved their food dish away from their water dish and now they aren't pooping in the water tray it as they eat from the other dish. And I put in thicker roosts and they LOVE them! Three or four of them will squeeze on one branch at a time and go to sleep. It is so adorable to see four little heads curled up in sleep at the same time on the roost [​IMG] They are 8 days old today!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

great idea - now why haven't I thought of that [​IMG]
    [​IMG] cute chicks

3. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    OH, they are such cuties!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I gotta think those wires are hard on the little chicks feet... that's just me.

5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I was thinking the same thing, Mahonri. I'd give them some place that is "solid ground" so they can get relief if necessary. That's what they recommend for bunnies. Maybe a piece of cardboard?

6. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

i agree with the two above.

7. 09northernchick

09northernchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    I went to the hardware store this morning and bought smaller mesh. I ended up with 1/4" squares. But after all the cutting and fitting etc. the poop does not fit down through the holes. I was looking at the 1/2" mesh but thought it might be too big for their feet.

What size should I use?

I would go right to shavings but they eat it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by