I'm so naughty!

That was taken around day 8-10

as for the air cells add a wet sponge into the bator to help keep the humidity up some so they don't lose too much moisture during incubation. It doesn't need to be dripping wet but moist. Your dorm room might be very dry so the humidity should help.

Thanks for the tip! I'd mentioned it to my roomie & her bf, and HE got upset, ranting about how sponges are pits not fit for anything but bacteria! I'm trying a wet rag, similar to a sponge, but wash and dryable if he gets freaked out again. If the air cells have gotten too large, is there anyway to get them back on track? aka, would i have to have my incubator loaded with water?

My room is pretty good via overall water, I've got a 5 gallon fish tank on my desk, and a couple assorted cups with water in them as well. : ) You know, messy college stuff.

Oh, and i have to say I thought the "excuses" for having chickens in my room were all really fun to read!

you can use a sponge as long as its new. There should be no real grown of bacteria in your bator unless its contaminated somehow. You can always try paper towels too if you want. I just use a sponge because its easier and holds moister longer.

Relative humidity in your room is what I was talking about
big_smile.png

Once the air cells get that size you can't make it smaller all you can do is slow down the evap from the egg by upping the humidity. I have done dry hatch before and it worked out good. Other swear by keeping it at 40% humidity until 3 days before hatch date and then bring it up to 60-65%. If you are really worried about it you hit up walmart and pic up a thermometer / hydrometer for a few bucks. Just make sure to calibrate it.

Place a cup of salt mixed with water until wet sand consistency place in a zip lock bad and then place in the hydrometer in the bag with it. Make sure its not touching the water/salt mix. Leave it for 24 hours and come back to see what it says. It should show 75% if not you can add or subtract the amount of the reading so you know where your 75% mark really is.

Say if its showing 80% then you know 80 is your 75, if it shows 70% then you know 70 is your 75.

after than place it in the bator and wait until the next day to see what it reads. adjust as needed.

86756_img_2037.jpg

This is prolly the worst one regarding air pocket size, it came from one of the EE banties. It looks very similar yolk density wise in comparison with the picture previously posted. Also, the air pocket is shuffled off to the side of the egg, is my turner not working right? I'd knoticed this with a couple other eggs. Thanks!

Last edited:
]
Ms.Frizzle :

We're not allowed pets, but the're only birds once they hatch, right?
big_smile.png

yuckyuck.gif
It sounds like law school is in your foreseeable future!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom