1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm so proud

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mummyandchicks, Dec 9, 2013.

1. mummyandchicks

mummyandchicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    Three weeks ago we got our first chicks - 12 one day old bantam partridge wyandottes. We decided to get chickens for two reasons - eggs and fun. We have two children 7 and 5 and thought they would really enjoy having little baby animals to care for.

Well, what fun we have had. First it was researching what breed and what coop and run. That's how I found BYC -thank goodness. Next was setting up to care for little chicks. Honestly, I don't know how mother nature has managed keeping chickens alive - I watch and monitor everything and anything!

Then we brought our little bundles of fluff home. What fun we had playing with these sweet chicks. We had to deal with heartache when we lost one -failure to thrive we think but I treated for cocci just in case. My 7 year old was so distressed about losing him (we think it was a boy). We now have a bunch of thriving chicks.

What has given me the most pleasure are my Grace and George and how they have become the carers of the chicks.

Both love to hold and pat them. I often find George sitting by their box talking or driving a car over the box telling them all about the adventure. Grace sits in the run after school (we put them out on warm days as its summer in Canberra Australia). She plays with them. She can be in there for an hour. They walk over her legs and investigate. She's become 'the chicken girl'. She handles them beautifully in and out of the run and box and is so gentle and caring with them. They both love to feed them to see what reaction they get. Tonight they had some off the bone ham. I had to get in there and sort a few out as they all went into a crazy food frenzy. Even our beagle Stella loves the chicks. As I sit on a tree stump watching Grace and George play she sits next to me and gets continous pats -she's in heaven.

Next to the coop/run I put a small table setting. We all sit there enjoying a cuppa and watching the chooks. It's such a nice way to spend time together at the end of the day.

What I am proud about is the way Grace and George care about the chicks. I know that the novelty will wear off and it will be Mum left to clean etc but I don't mind as long as they care about their chooks and we continue to enjoy them as a family.

I think chicks are lifes roses -they cause you to stop and enjoy the moment.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    What a nice post about your children and their involvement with the care of the chicks, and sounds like the whole family has discovered "chicken television". Sorry you lost the one little guy, hope the rest of them continue to do good for you and you soon start getting lots of eggs from the girls.

3. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Yay! I love to watch my chickies play outside. Who knew it would be so entertaining?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Had I known chickens were going to be so much fun, I would have gotten into them when I was a lot younger.

Great story!

5. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Haha, chickens may be roses, but they don't smell like roses! Loved your post, chooks are so good for kids. Lovely. BTW, I live in Canberra too!

6. mummyandchicks

mummyandchicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2013
    You're so right Dowrie. I just walked past the 12 chicks in the family room and told them they will be moving out soon -they stink!

7. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

You are so right, what a wonderful way to put it too! I never thought of that. Thanks for reminding us all. [​IMG] Keep enjoying your little ones, soon to be big ones, as it doesn't take long, that's for sure!! Welcome to BYC, so happy you joined us! I'm sure your children will always love them, but like most mothers, we have to be the caretakers, right? We love it though! Enjoy!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by