1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm SO UPSET..I don't know what to do...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickie<3, Sep 16, 2010.

1. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I have been trying for the last 3 days to introduce my 3 5week olds to the 2 15 week olds...it is not going well at all...the big girls r being so mean..they r like in high school. My mom is trying to introduce 2 5 week olds to 3 15 week olds too...not going well there either...would it be easiler to take her 3 15 week olds and introduce them to my 2 15 week olds and keep all the 5 week old girls together..i'm actually losing sleep over this. My mom put a milk crate over one of the 15 week olds that was being very fresh..seems cruel..but is a good idea?

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles &amp; Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Your mom's a smart lady. Just make sure the 'prisoner' has access to food and water.

3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I would keep all the young 1s together like you said wait till they are all the same size and divide the 2 group to who want which. Hope you understand what I mean

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I think the groups would still fight if they were with their same age,but atleast they would be of equal size. I would combine groups of equal age if I could.

They say you should remove a hen that is being overly aggresive and return to the group a little while later.

5. darkroo

darkroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2009
    Sandy
    [​IMG]
    Do the two groups see each other on a regular basest, like there are two separate runs there they can see each other but remain on there own turf? That would help them get familiar with each other. [​IMG]

I had an established flock of bantams and silkies and then brought in two standard size birds that were 6 months younger and still only 6 to eight weeks old and still a year later the little bantams where having to jump up to discipline the birds that are twice as large. [​IMG]

It can be tough when the balance of power starts to shift, but unless their drawing blood or constantly pulling feathers they may learn to get along. I still new so I always keep a close eye on them when ever I make a change.

good luck I'm sure someone else here will have some other ideas.

[​IMG]

6. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I would put them in runs right next to each other... or even in a kennel inside the run. After a day or two take them out AT NIGHT and put them in the coop with the 'big' girls. It should work. That's the only way I ever do it now. Good luck!

7. HennyPenny2

HennyPenny2 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had 2 3 year olds and 6 chicks. I waited till the chicks were about 2 months old and during the day I put them in the run with the other girls but made a large circular pen made from chicken wire and covered the top with a large sheet to keep the sun off and also to keep them from flying out. I put them in a ex large dog open crate at night. I did this for several weeks to a month or so. That way the older girls whom one would even try attacking through the fence would settle down and get used to the idea of having the other hens. The older girls made a lot of noise for awhile and after a few weeks they quieted down. When I took the pen away their was some chasing and a little pecking but very little and now they are all happy. I hope this helps.[​IMG]

8. mburpo

mburpo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Paragon, IN
    I have a dog crate system for introductions. Basically, putting the newest chicks in the dog crate for a week, then letting them loose. It's worked good for me.

I just built and open brooder inside the coop as well, covered with plastic poultry netting, so that the flock sees the chicks form the get go and I can skip the step with the dog crate when it's integration time.

9. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks everyone..i dont know what to do...i'm nervous the big girls will not get along either..but at least they will be big enough to run away and protect themselves..and the little girls have been togther fine in the brooder for the last 5 almost 6 weeks...so i'm sure they will be fine at least.

10. Nana Allred

Nana Allred Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    I have a question about eggs layed on the ground and they all start eating them. They dont bother the ones in the nesting boxes (yet), but one of my hens layed her first egg the day before yesterday and did it in the run. It was eaten quick by all. Today the same thing. And how do I get her to lay in a box?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by