I'm sooooo blonde!!

LALADY1101

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Lake Charles, LA
So after promising myself that I wouldn't candle until day 10, this morning I decided to candle on what I THOUGHT was day 5. Eggs all looked pretty clear with the exception of a few of them. They were showing signs of a little darker area. So of course I'm completely discouraged and thinking well that's just great.......not gonna hatch again!!!
hit.gif
AND then I get to work and look at my calendar and realize I just set them Wed morning!! It's ony day 3.
th.gif
Gonna be a lllooonnngg 21 days!!!!!!

Just wait until you forget to write them on the calendar at all and one day you hear peeping and the eggs are still in the turner and chicks are popping up like popcorn
th.gif

It happens to all of us
hugs.gif

Quote:
You know what...I quit candleing at day 4. I think I did it too much when I first started hatching several years ago and it increases the risk of contamination, dropping, etc. So I now do my first candleing at day 7. By that time, there is no doubt if there is growth. If they are clear at day 7, they get tossed. My next candleing is at day 14. This one is tricker but generally, you can see movement by this time. I did my day 14 candeling yesterday and all of them had babies. There was one that I questioned the rate of growth but left it in of course.

After that...no more candleing...not even at day 18. Just stop turning and increase humidity. I really think I handled them way too much in the beginning. I think "less is more" in this instance. I know it's hard to keep from doing it but just tell yourself that you could be doing more harm than good
big_smile.png

Quote:
You know what...I quit candleing at day 4. I think I did it too much when I first started hatching several years ago and it increases the risk of contamination, dropping, etc. So I now do my first candleing at day 7. By that time, there is no doubt if there is growth. If they are clear at day 7, they get tossed. My next candleing is at day 14. This one is tricker but generally, you can see movement by this time. I did my day 14 candeling yesterday and all of them had babies. There was one that I questioned the rate of growth but left it in of course.

After that...no more candleing...not even at day 18. Just stop turning and increase humidity. I really think I handled them way too much in the beginning. I think "less is more" in this instance. I know it's hard to keep from doing it but just tell yourself that you could be doing more harm than good
big_smile.png

Thanks Judy.........these are your eggs!! Send me some good hatching vibes!!!

Done! I knew it probably was. I'll keep watching your posts for updates!! Did they all arrive in good condition?

I think over-candleing is the hardest habit I've had to break. I got so I was confusing myself and I've probably ditched eggs that were good second-guessing. That's why I finally stepped away from the incubator
big_smile.png

I wish they had a patch for candleing addiction!!

This is my 1st hatch and I am guilty of candling too much also. I am on day 15 and have 11 good eggs out of 18. I wonder if that is b/c I candle them too many times or just infertility problem (5 clear eggs, 2 early quitter). Anyway, definitely will candle much less next time.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom