I'm still seeing Charlie everywhere!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Aug 8, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's been more than a month since we had to put our beloved Charlie Girl to sleep due to her cancer. I'm still seeing her everywhere. My DH says he still "sees" her walking thru the house at times too. My heart aches every time I think of her.
    We found this poem online the day she passed. It has helped us to know that she's in a better, pain-free place. It was signed anonymous.

I know it must be different
    Now that I'm no longer there
    I realize how much I was loved
    And how all of you did care
    I know it will be hard at first
    When you look around for me
    Expecting to find me in my bed
    Or beside my favorite tree

Someday you'll begin to see
    Although it'll take some time
    The happy times you shared with me
    The memories are yours and mine
    I'll remember you, my friends
    And how much you meant to me
    So please don't grieve
    And don't be sad
    It was just my time to leave

I got into our photo files this morning to get out three pics of Charlie to send to chickenzoo. She's making us memorial decals for our vehicles. I thought I'd share the pics with y'all. I believe I've posted the one before.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These were taking when Charlie was still in the best of health and I'm so glad to have them.
    Thanks for looking. [​IMG]

2. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I'm so sorry . . . she was a beautiful dog.

3. foweler

foweler Songster

Mar 10, 2009
    Chico, CA
    I'm sorry. I'm facing a similar situation soon. No cancer, but a 16 year old on pain meds to keep her comfortable.
    Every vet visit could be the last and I dread that day but I know its coming.

4. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Songster

Jun 29, 2009
    What breed is Charlie? I had a dog that looked just like her, only black, and thought he was a mutt. But how can two mutts look so identical? He was a good dog, too. Saved me from a bad guy.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That was Charlie, too. She saved me from my abusive ex husband. He put his hands on me one too many times and she made him regret it.
    Charlie was part irish wolfhound. I got her as a rescue when she was a little less than a year old. The shelter had also seized her mother, a full blood wolfhound and one sister, from an abusive owner.
    We never figured out where the big ears came from. I always said I was going to get her DNA tested before she passed, but didn't. As my DH said, even if I could have cloned her, it was Charlie's life experiences that made her such a special creature.

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I'm so sorry! [​IMG] It was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. I almost chickened out at the last minute, but she had given me so much in her life I had to give her freedom from her pain.

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    [​IMG] I so understand. I still see my big boy and he has been gone since Jan of 2007. Just smile when you see her and tell her you are doing ok but you miss her. Let her know you will see her again.

She is checking on you to make sure you are okay, she knows you miss her terribly and she misses you both too. So let her know you will be alright and still love her.

8. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've got an old girl too... I thought it was the end of Hailey on Mother's day and the next day was my birthday. Nothing other than her comfort mattered during those days. She got over the vestibular disease but is now dropping weight and she's so slow to get up these days. But she still seems to have happiness with her buddy, Poncho.
    And last night I found my maine coon cuddling up with her much like your above pic. Funny how they develop a sweet caring bond for one another. I will miss her when she does say good bye to us.

hugs,
    Gretch

9. This is so interesting. I just met a dog named Charlie yesterday, who looks just the tiniest bit - at least in color - like your Charlie. There's a pic of him on my blog if you want to see him. My DH was just talking about him today, how he's a rescue who lives a luxurious life now and how full-out happy of a dog he is. Maybe your Charlie passed some happiness along...

Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Grit, She was beautiful! I'm sorry about your loss. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: