im stumped-button color Q

Discussion in 'Quail' started by xchairity_casex, Sep 16, 2011.

1. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    im usually pretty good at identifying button colors but this little boy has stumped me. when he hatched i was certian he was a cinnamon then once his feathers began coming in they all came in light silver/grey so i wascertian he was a silver and he stayed silver untill last week when red feathers started appearing and his head turned dark grey? i dont think ive ever seen pics of a silver that looked like him before so im not sure what he is?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    he sure is pretty though cant wait to see him fully grown

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    might be the so called "darth vader" which really isn't a color....silver red breasted? i honestly have no clue...where the crap is shellyd or quaillady D:

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    looks like Cinnamon Red Breasted OR the Cinnamon Splash I was talking about

4. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

I don't know anything about quail colors - but he certainly is CUTE! [​IMG]

5. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:How do we learn to narrow it down to which one?

Wait till they go through a molt and get adult feathers?

How do we identify a splash?

6. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    thanks quaillady! from this batch one of the so called females who would have made ti absolutly even number males/females ended up being a male so im off by one and this is my favorite male so im going to keep this little guy and sell the other pairs i like this little guy becuase he is the CALMEST little bird i have ever seen!i almost worried about him in the begining becuase of how calm he was but hes growing just fine and acts normal but when the other birds run from my hand he just sits there and lets me pick him up like "oh sure" when i put him on my lap or on the floor and put my hand over top of him he just...sits there its so lovely

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    He looks like cinnamon. The males go through some wild color morphs before getting their 'big bird' feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by