Im sure not a new question...

jps37033

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
West TN
Last year I had 32 hens. I had a 12x12 coop attached to a 12x12 run. I let them out every day to free range on our 19 acres. They did great. They started slowly getting killed off. I ended up with 8 and sold them cause I thought the fox was gonna kill them all. I caught my dog with one in his mouth. Turns out he killed them all when we weren't here. My wife wouldn't let me dispose of the bad pet. So he is still here. If I let them free range on days while I am outside how many chickens can I have. I have extended the run to a 14x24 and the coop is 12x12 with 6, 8 foot roosting poles and 12 nesting boxes that are a foot by a foot. I went and bought 1 rooster and 15 hens. Will they do okay in that space? They are buffs, barred rocks, reds, aracuanas, ISA browns, and black sexlink. The rooster is a red.

Thanks!!!

They will be perfectly fine in their coop and run. That is more than adequate for your flock. Sorry to hear that your predator is a part of your household. Good luck with your girls this year.

Did you see your dog kill the chicken? If you didn't, there is a chance he was just bringing it home. Our healer carries chicks and keets in his mouth when he thinks they should return to the flock.

Did you see your dog kill the chicken? If you didn't, there is a chance he was just bringing it home. Our healer carries chicks and keets in his mouth when he thinks they should return to the flock.

Yeah I thought it was a fox for a while. But got suspicious when I started thinking that everytime a fox wouldn't eat it in the yard and leave only feet and guts. Then one morning about 10am wife screamed at me and we caught him in the act. I came to the conclusion that he didn't bother them unless he walked past one and they got flustered. Then it would excite him.

Still debating getting rid of him. I have always loved pets and am an animal lover but have always taken the approach that if one animal impedes on me having another, it goes.

Back
Top Bottom