I'm thinking about a mule/donkey to protect my chickens...

Jerusalem donkeys are powerhouses in little bodies. We had one once that had became best buddies with two of our goats. Hung around each other. One day, they were sitting at the top of the hill watching out when the little donkey grabbed one sitting next to him, slammed him down and broke his neck killing him instantly. No more of those lol.

Mules are cool. They have the horse personality with the strenth to become a great farm hand and take trails longer than a horse can. Tall, tall.

They won't protect your chickens.

X2. My mini mule has tried to stomp chickens, but hasn't been fast enough to catch them. Ducks, unfortunately, she did connect with occasionally. Donkeys and mules protect their territory, not necessarily the animals in it; they may accept the ones that have been living there, but attack new ones as "invaders."

Mules are cool. They have the horse personality

I have horses, too, and the personality is very different.

There's a saying, "a horse is smart. A donkey is smarter. A mule is smarter than you; deal with it."

Yeah, scary smart. Ya gotta love 'em in their own right.:idunno

X2. My mini mule has tried to stomp chickens, but hasn't been fast enough to catch them. Ducks, unfortunately, she did connect with occasionally. Donkeys and mules protect their territory, not necessarily the animals in it; they may accept the ones that have been living there, but attack new ones as "invaders."

I have horses, too, and the personality is very different.

There's a saying, "a horse is smart. A donkey is smarter. A mule is smarter than you; deal with it."

Yeah, scary smart. Ya gotta love 'em in their own right.:idunno
All of this.

Jerusalem donkeys are powerhouses in little bodies. We had one once that had became best buddies with two of our goats. Hung around each other. One day, they were sitting at the top of the hill watching out when the little donkey grabbed one sitting next to him, slammed him down and broke his neck killing him instantly. No more of those lol.

Mules are cool. They have the horse personality with the strenth to become a great farm hand and take trails longer than a horse can. Tall, tall.
Oh my gosh, we had a horse that we were boarding kill my 4-H goat the same way! It chased it down, picked it up in its teeth and shook it, breaking my goat's neck. What the heck?!

One day, they were sitting at the top of the hill watching out when the little donkey grabbed one sitting next to him, slammed him down and broke his neck killing him instantly. No more of those lol.

Oh my gosh, we had a horse that we were boarding kill my 4-H goat the same way! It chased it down, picked it up in its teeth and shook it, breaking my goat's neck. What the heck?!

Sorry for your both your losses.

Llamas are the way to go for predator butt kicking. I've seen them stomp snakes and all kinds of vermin to death.

Check out the american mule and donkey association for answers to all questions about longears:

They won't protect your chickens.

Thank you for the info. I've heard that they go after stray dogs, coyote and people haven't had a loss of their chickens when they have a donkey around.

Do some more research first. They can be great, but come with their own set of concerns. They need feed, hoof trimming, teeth floated, worming, shots, and that's if they are/stay healthy. Not something you just turn out in the pasture and they fend for themselves. Not cheap either.

I planned to do a good deal of research but wanted to hear from people first hand so I came to the experts :)

All of this.

Thank you for all the great info and advice.

Back
Top Bottom