Im thinking...

Quote:
I like Broccoli thats Buttered or cheesey or dipped in ranch but other then that I cant eat it straight!
DH cant eat it at all lol He doesnt care much for rice either but he'll just have to get over it if I add it to the chicken and dumplings xD

Sounds good to me. There are ways of sneaking in vegetables to other foods. You could puree some cauliflower into your chicken and rice. The odds are that once everything is cooked through that nobody will even taste the cauliflower. I fairly sure that it would be like adding some mashed potatoes to the dish. So it would thicken the broth, and yet add the nutrition and fiber. I have also put beets into brownies. They were fabulous.

Oh! That sounds like a great idea! I LOVE thick broth!! Would it really hurt to add more broth then what they call for?

Quote:
Guess you wouldn't want an invite to dinner.
lol.png

I had carrot & celery sticks, washed it down with chocolate soy milk.

What are the odds,

Imp

JB, Imp loves barley too

LOL I guess I'll be hoping to get an invite to JB's dinner xD
I like the Chocolate Soy Milk though
droolin.gif

BTW - What does barley taste like?

Barley tastes little like brown rice. It holds it shape better in stews, than rice does. Rice will overcook much faster than barley does. I buy barley in bulk at my local QFC store. (Kroger for others in the country)

Quote:
LOL I guess I'll be hoping to get an invite to JB's dinner xD
I like the Chocolate Soy Milk though
droolin.gif

BTW - What does barley taste like?

Barley tastes little like brown rice. It holds it shape better in stews, than rice does. Rice will overcook much faster than barley does. I buy barley in bulk at my local QFC store. (Kroger for others in the country)

Wow! I didnt know Barley tasted like rice!
In fact I didnt even know you could eat it lol I've always heard it being fed to livestock
lol.png

Might have to play around with a few things
smile.png

Quote:
Sounds good to me. There are ways of sneaking in vegetables to other foods. You could puree some cauliflower into your chicken and rice. The odds are that once everything is cooked through that nobody will even taste the cauliflower. I fairly sure that it would be like adding some mashed potatoes to the dish. So it would thicken the broth, and yet add the nutrition and fiber. I have also put beets into brownies. They were fabulous.

Oh! That sounds like a great idea! I LOVE thick broth!! Would it really hurt to add more broth then what they call for?

Nope! Add what you think looks right. as the chicken stew cooks down it looses volume of liquid. So I often just use however much it looks like I need. Also that by adding thickener to the stock, some of the liquid will be absorb into the thicker. So you will need more than is called for to make soup. Soup and Stew are basically the same thing. Stew is just usually thicker than soup.

Quote:

Wow! I didnt know Barley tasted like rice!
In fact I didnt even know you could eat it lol I've always heard it being fed to livestock
lol.png

Might have to play around with a few things
smile.png

Barley is very nutritious. People have relied on barley for food for centuries. I am not certain as to why it isn't used more these days. I do know that there are people who consider it to be poor peoples food. I don't consider my self as poor, and I know it's good food. The grain can also be ground into flour for bread.

Quote:
TinyTots Seramas,

You would be so lucky to get an invite from JB,

I've met her, and eaten her food.

It would be a funny, intelligent, gourmet evening.

Imp

Quote:
Unless I'm baking bread or a cake that requires pretty precise measurements, I'm the same way. I can't even make chicken broth the same way twice in a row. My broth will always have peppercorns, a bay leaf, onions, carrots, and celery in it, but what else depends on what is fresh in the garden or dried and available. Maybe garlic, chives, oregano, parsley, thyme, usually basil. I even used leeks one time. My wife is the opposite and precisely measures everything out, but for me, recipes are mostly a general map. You never know where I'll leave the trail and go wandering.

One sneaky thing you can do is grate carrots and add them to chili. One of out kids that did not like vegetables has no idea how many carrots he ate growing up.

Back
Top Bottom