I'm torn between what breeds to get!!!!

Desirai

Songster
11 Years
Oct 12, 2011
Alabama
I am really torn between what chickens I want. Welsummer roosters have amazing wattles and beautiful colors. Orpingtons and cochins are both so round and fluffy. Jersey giants are big! Wyandottes are gorgeous!

I'm interested in chickens as pets; eggs are a bonus.

Maybe I could get one of each.

Opinions?

edit: I'm limited to about 6 chickens, btw

Last edited:
one of each might be a good idea. I've had and like all the breeds you mentioned. I especially like JGs (gentle giants) and welsummers for the dark eggs.

I've got orpingtons and EE. They are both very friendly. We got them as chicks and made sure to handle them everyday. They love to follow people and our dog around the yard. One of our orpington chicks turned out to be a rooster. He was way mean and he beatup our hens and attacked us every chance he got. He ended up at freezer camp.

Well.. I'd actually prefer all roos because I love wattles. LOL
But I don't think that will work. So I'm not sure. I know if I get a welsummer, I want it to be a roo.

Desi,
What fun to be starting a flock! You have to make a couple of decisions. You REALLY don't want a flock of roos. Things will get bloody. I don't have any roos because I didn't want any complaints from neighbors, but I love to hear a cock crow (remember they will crow throughout the night and day, not just at dawn) and they are such beauties, so I'm kind of sad not to have at least one. I also didn't want to be wondering if there was something alive in that egg... With only a capacity for 6 whatevers, you definately are not going into business, but you are going to love some fresh eggs. Store bought taste like plastic to me now. I have to say your main criteria being wattles is unique. What was that TV lawyer show where the guy wanted to touch people's "wattles"? If you get some roos, try to pick types that may have a more gentle disposition. I hear that Favorelles are very gentle and extremely gorgeous but I don't think they will register very high on your wattle index! OK, if you have a roo and some hens you may end up with chicks, depending on if any of your hens will sit on them (go "broody) consistently. (Pardon me if you are familiar with this info.) So, you have to think about how to deal with that. Make sure your hens lay their eggs where you can find them and keep them picked up daily so you won't get a big bunch of little surprises unless you can give them away. I ordered all my chicks from My Pet Chicken because I wanted one of each variety and only females that are good layers, lay a variety of colored eggs, and were interesting to me in some way. MPC even has a profiler you can fill in to find chickens that meet your requirements like Docile, Colorful Eggs, Rare Breeds, etc. Must say I don't think wattle preferences are on their Profile index! Most of my hens have names so they will not be going to "freezer camp". In other words, I don't have the heart to cull them. I'll end up with "Cynthia's Retirement Home for Eldery Hens" but I do lose 1-2 per year for various reasons. The other commenters were correct about the ratio of roos to hens. I don't think you will be very successful having more that one roo with 5 hens, but others may disagree. If you could keep your roos separate, you might be able to keep more, but that requires more fencing, housing, etc. IF you have a roo and 5 hens, and you get chicks, you need to consider if you want them to be one breed or mixed. Even if you pick breeds that are not as likely to sit on eggs, they might surprise you.

If I were in your position, I would likely choose one breed of chicken with lovely wattles so the chicks, if any, would be purebreds. I'm thinking they might be a little easier to sell or give away. Wellsummers are good layers of a beautiful speckled brown eggs. The White Faced Spanish Black has fantastic wattles. My Black Australorp hen has great eggs and nice wattles. She so sweet she lets me stroke them if I want! Good luck and let me know what you decide. Remember some roos can really tear up their hens mounting them so watch out for injury.

I don't plan on hatching chicks..

But yes, roosters are allowed here. Also I think we can have about 30 chickens total but I just don't have that kind of room for them, which is why I have set myself a limit. :)

Also about the roosters hurting hens, that's why originally I was going to make sure that any rooster I get is a bantam.

My original plan was 3 orps and 3 cochins, with 1 rooster of each leaving 4 hens. but I don't know if that would work with 2 roosters in such a small flock.

Back
Top Bottom