I'm Tropichick, nice to meet you!

Tropichick

Hatching
Mar 10, 2015
I live in Florida, Cape Coral. I have 4 dogs and a small yard, we separated a small area and we screened and enclosed it with chicken wire for a small garden protected from coons ( my garden was devoured by them the year before) well, white powder took it over. I cleared and I am thinking about raising chickens so that we can have fresh eggs. Since I am a beginner, think I can buy 3 little chicks. I cannot have a rooster due to city ordinance. I just learned that chickens can lay eggs without a rooster. i am looking around the site in order to get information and it seems that it is possible for me to raise chickens. All info about how to raise them, feed them, protect them from diseases is well come.

Welcome!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

I would check out the Learning Center, if you haven't already. It contains lots of information on keeping chickens: Learning Center Articles

I hope you can get chickens!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! The learning centre is a great place to start for all the learning about keeping chickens. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
Chickens can most definitely lay eggs without a roo around. Hens can be more happy without all the attentions of a rooster too.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new chicken adventure. Be sure to ask any questions yiu may have, everyone here to help and very friendly. Enjoy BYC :frow

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Definitely stop by our learning center. Lots of good articles to get you started in raising your new birds. You can also stop by your state thread and chat with your chicken neighbors here...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/305793/florida-always-sunny-side-up

Make yourself at home. If you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Great links and info have been provided already so I'll just say welcome and good luck!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. If your going to keep chickens, you need to protect them with hardware cloth instead of chicken wire. With the temptation of tasty chickens, there are just too many predators (including raccoons) that can tear through chicken wire, and others that can squeeze through the openings in the mesh. Replacing the chicken wire with hardware cloth will cost some extra money, but it will be cheaper than replacing your flock. Hardware cloth has saved many chicken owners a lot of tears. Also with raccoons, you need to either use a padlock or a double action latch on your coop door as raccoons can quickly figure out how to open a single action latch. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Definitely believe what Michael has told you. Raccoons are one of the worst predators - if they can snag any body part thru openings in a fence they will bite it off. They probably cause more severe mutilation, pain, and death than any other. They are smart, incredibly patient, can dig under, climb fencing or jump down from tree branches. They have opposable thumbs and can probably open any lock/ or latch you can - except combination locks.

They will hang around once they get an easy meal, and not leave till all birds are gone. You need a coop and run built like Ft.Knox. Please check out the coops and predator threads for more information and suggestions.

Thank you all for all the info you gave me and all the best wishes. You guys really made feel welcomed to the flock!

Back
Top Bottom