I'm worried because I jostled the incubator

Incubus4502

In the Brooder
Jan 25, 2016
Hey, all,

I guess I need reassurance, or perhaps condolences. It's post-lockdown Day 20ish and this morning I accidentally jostled the incubator and eggs were rolling everywhere (inside the incubator).

Doom and gloom? Or will it be okay? Anyone else have a similar experience?

Heart,
Thomas

Personally I would not worry in the least about this. I've had perfect hatches where the earliest chicks that hatched played rugby with the later eggs. Even if you rolled some hard enough to crack them, at this stage I would not expect that to cause a problem unless they really shattered. And even then if the membrane is intact you will probably be OK. They are a lot tougher than many people give them credit.

Over the years, a couple of times, I've had half an egg cup over an unhatched egg due to the chicks playing rugby, making it hard for that egg to hatch. I consider that an emergency and will open the incubator to take care of it. But just from the eggs rolling around a bit, not going to worry about it.

I have not put a camera under a broody hen to see how much those eggs get jostled around, but I would be surprised if they did not roll around some. I think your is a case where worry is interest paid before it is due. I'm not going to tell you to not worry, you will anyway, but I really don't think this will affect your hatch.

Back
Top Bottom