I'm yet another newbie

I love my maremma, but like I said, he's retired. He's so stiff he can't scratch his own ears so we have to do it for him. Not what I thought we'd bring home from the shelter, but a sweeter, mellower dog you'll never find. I think the doggy smell keeps some predators away, but he's not really in livestock guardian mode, except when the baby silkies are having an outing. I told dh that our dog needs a puppy for xmas!

And don't worry, I'm not a threat to BYC members or chickens. We only eat the eggs. Though, like many of us, I can be fierce if there's a threat to my family or flock.

-BabaYaga

welcome-byc.gif
So glad you joined this fun and friendly forum!
Chicken leg house, hmmmm Would be so cool!!

wee.gif

Wow! Thanks for all the warm (and immediate!) welcomes! We're in west central Virginia, not too far from the Blue Ridge Mountains. Dh and I grew up in Illinois, so it seems warm here to us. I'm so glad summer is over! It gets too hot.

Before reading this forum, I had no idea so many people were keeping chickens these days, and that there were people out there so passionate about it. On the one hand, it's so much easier to keep hens than I'd feared. On the other hand, there's so much to learn.

And while I know they're not free, I really enjoy the fresh eggs. You know you've adapted to having hens when you say "those eggs have been in the fridge for 3 days! I've got to do something with them!"

People also think we've got tons of free honey and that we'll make lots of money keeping bees. It is to laugh. We like the bees anyway, though.

-BabaYaga

Welcome, BabaYaga! I've learned almost as much about chickens from this site as I did growing up with them. I've certainly learned that there are more kinds than I EVER imagined. Now I'm addicted. Glad to have you aboard.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom